Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good Places to get Car stereo.

Options
  • 31-07-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

Hi thee, I need a new stereo for my car. Aside from Halfords and DID, can anybody suggest some good websites that do them cheaper? Pixmania, I think, is one. I'm just looking for branded CD/AUX stereo, doesn't have to be anything fancy.
    Also, if anybody wants to suggest specific stero to buy/avoid it would be much appreciated!!(especiially for the latter!)

EDIT: do i need to get the keys to unlock the existing one, or will they come with the new stereo. It's a seat leon, so I'd assume i need the VW-type keys.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

*bump*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I know this may sound od but max power adverts always have good deals... on ice packages and stereos tend to be a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I ve used caraudiodirect.co.uk and found them good. And coct effective.

Am I right in assuming that for modern cars the new one will just slide in once it's wired up, or will i need to get a bracket of some sort??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Am I right in assuming that for modern cars the new one will just slide in once it's wired up, or will i need to get a bracket of some sort??

A new stereo will normally come with a standard cage. Fit the cage in, secure it and then slot the stereo into it and you're done:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Argos do good specials regularly. I got a decent Pioneer with USB port that was discounted from €200 to €125.

Depends are if the oem radio is one thats only for that car. like a molded into the dash joby.
    the adapter plugs for the wires maybe needed....

Depends are if the oem radio is one thats only for that car. like a molded into the dash joby.
    the adapter plugs for the wires maybe needed....
    I think i know the ones you're on about. This one isn't, it's from a Seat Leon, looks like this:

headunit1.jpg

I need VW release keys to get the old one out, where do i get these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

eBay. That's where I got mine. Good price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

caraudiosecurity i have used, would recommend them

• Advertisement

I don't need these anymore, I was able to take out the head unit my chopping up a credit card and using it in place of release keys! Worked a treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I will go ahead and recommend the Sony CDX-GT22---

Can be got from england for around €100 or cheaper. And its a good solid stereo that never has given me an ounce of trouble!

1227619685.jpg

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    I will go ahead and recommend the Sony CDX-GT22---

Can be got from england for around €100 or cheaper. And its a good solid stereo that never has given me an ounce of trouble!

1227619685.jpg

Looks good. Though, this one in halfords seems to have eveything i need:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_720589_langId_-1_categoryId_212600
    KD-R301_E.jpg

I'm not looking for anything super powerful, i just need a solid replacement for the stock one. It's broken (amplifier gone), costs 300 euro to get a new one from the dealer! :eek:

I think i know the ones you're on about. This one isn't, it's from a Seat Leon, looks like this:

headunit1.jpg

are they the double release keys or the single ?

are they the double release keys or the single ?
    They are the double. I don't need 'em anymore, i just chopped up a credit card in two strips and stuck them in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭voteforpedro

Looks good. Though, this one in halfords seems to have eveything i need:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_720589_langId_-1_categoryId_212600

I'm not looking for anything super powerful, i just need a solid replacement for the stock one. It's broken (amplifier gone), costs 300 euro to get a new one from the dealer! :eek:

saw that today in halfords. im lookin for something similar and it looks good value. jvc are underrated btw!!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

For the old Leon, you'll also need a power-injector device for the FM aerial. This is used to power the amp built into the base of the Leon (and other VAG cars) "bee sting" aerial.

You'll also need a fascia adaptor plate, as the Leon stereo is wider than standard stereos.

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/ are worth a nosey too. Bought from them before, no problems.

byte wrote: »
    For the old Leon, you'll also need a power-injector device for the FM aerial. This is used to power the amp built into the base of the Leon (and other VAG cars) "bee sting" aerial.
    Yeah, I was reading this on another site, should have them in halfords right? Is it only for the radio? Will CDs work without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Auto World Direct seem to have good enough deals.

http://www.autoworlddirect.ie/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65

Advertisement