Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Perspex back windows, NCT fail?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 8:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Ok so, some scummer tried to steal my car two weeks ago:mad:, luckily he didnt get away with the car, he only managed to break the back window, steering column, and ignition barrel. Steering weel and ignition arent a problem to fix, its the back window they broke (passenger rear quarter panel window).

I cant for the life of me get a window for the car, Ive tried every jap breaker in the country and they've never heard of my car, most dont want to order glass from Japan too, Nissan Tralee quoted me 684+VAT for the window so thats a no go. Basically I cant get a window for it ANYWHERE, internet, specailist forums, eBay... nowhere. Managed to track down a similar car in the Caribean but the guy isnt willing to post the glass as it will more than likely arrive in bits...:mad:

So I've resigned myself to putting in two matching perspex windows in the rear, are they an NCT fail, would they have to be clear, ideally Id like to put in black perspex as its isnt as noticable as perspex, I dont want to draw anymore unwanted attention to it. They would be static windows, its a coupe so they wouldnt be moving.

Ideas?

Car is a Nissan 200sx B-14.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Simple answer is to go to an NCT centre and ask at the counter. They will tell you straight away. no bullsh1tt1ing.

Why do people ask here when thay can ask at the correct place

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Thanks, really helpfull, sure why dont we do away with the forums alltogether and just google everything. Someone here may work for the NCTS and give me an answer, someone may have a past experience, my question may help someone else, I might even find the part im looking for.

Now move along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

It'll most likely be a fail. The side and rear windows will have to be made of either safety glass or a certified non-shatter material. Perspex shatters so you'd probably need to use polycarbonate and get your hands on a certificate for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf
    Pg 15
    5. Where windscreens, side or rear windows are fitted with glazing material other than safety glass the vehicle owner
    shall provide a certificate from the manufacturer or installer stating that the glazing material is not likely, if
    fractured, to produce fragments capable of causing severe cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

I thought Auto glass had their own jigs to make up any shape glass ?
    I remember hearing about it a few years back when jap imports were hitting the market here , but no personal experience of it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

dsane1 wrote: »
    I thought Auto glass had their own jigs to make up any shape glass ?
    I remember hearing about it a few years back when jap imports were hitting the market here , but no personal experience of it .

Yep, their website says "any make, any model"

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Yep, their website says "any make, any model"

Nissan quoted me near 700 euros for the piece of glass, I doubt they'll do me any favours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

FearDark wrote:
    Nissan quoted me near 700 euros for the piece of glass, I doubt they'll do me any favours.

Yeah, but you asked the OEM for a genuine replacement part for a rare car so you were guaranteed to get raped by Nissan. Almost any other way of getting an original replacement will work out cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

FearDark wrote: »

Have you asked Autoglass though or are you just assuming they'll quote you a ridiculous price?

Heroditas wrote: »
    Have you asked Autoglass though or are you just assuming they'll quote you a ridiculous price?

Im assuming. Ill get on the horn to em in the morning and post what I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Surely if your car is a Japanese import B14 (Sunny-based) 2 door coupe, it is a Nissan Lucino? AFAIK they were only sold in North America as the 200SX. Not sure if this is any help to you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Simple answer is to go to an NCT centre and ask at the counter. They will tell you straight away. no bullsh1tt1ing.

If you have nothing good to say then please say nothing at all! :rolleyes:

Surely if your car is a Japanese import B14 (Sunny-based) 2 door coupe, it is a Nissan Lucino? AFAIK they were only sold in North America as the 200SX. Not sure if this is any help to you.

Yes, in name only its Sunny based, its 90% Almera though. Yes Lucino is written on the back of It but that search hasnt thrown up much, Its even a RHD, Im using the 200sx name as theyre more common. I've gone on the SR20 forums and suchlike and no luck apart from one guy who wont post it!

I'll dig out a picture... surely another one in the country lyeing idle :rolleyes:

If anyone recognises the car and knows of a scrapped one Id very much appreciate it :)

img1195e.jpg
    img1193c.jpg
    img1194.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Have it tested without the glass as far as i know there is no rule about not having glass in a car window

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, in name only its Sunny based, its 90% Almera though.
    Every "Sunny" sold here since 1986 was really a Pulsar (N13-N14). Same goes for the first Almera (N15 Pulsar). The Sunny and Pulsar were originally completely different cars but I think by the B14/N15 generations they were pretty much the same thing with different body panels. I've seen a few B14 Sunnys around here (they look like this) but these don't have the quarter light you're looking for. You may have better luck looking in other countries where Japanese imports are more common like Russia and New Zealand but that'll still mean having to post glass half way across the world :(

Every "Sunny" sold here since 1986 was really a Pulsar (N13-N14). Same goes for the first Almera (N15 Pulsar). The Sunny and Pulsar were originally completely different cars but I think by the B14/N15 generations they were pretty much the same thing with different body panels. I've seen a few B14 Sunnys around here (they look like this) but these don't have the quarter light you're looking for. You may have better luck looking in other countries where Japanese imports are more common like Russia and New Zealand but that'll still mean having to post glass half way across the world :(

I know what your saying allright, that picture of a Sunny you posted there is like mine allright but as parts go Almera parts fit my car and not Sunny. Brakes, suspension, the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

The irony is that the thief would now be in your situation if he had actually stolen it.

Would insurance not cover the cost of the replacement window ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

Ok so, some scummer tried to steal my car two weeks ago:mad:, luckily he didnt get away with the car, he only managed to break the back window, steering column, and ignition barrel. Steering weel and ignition arent a problem to fix, its the back window they broke (passenger rear quarter panel window).

I cant for the life of me get a window for the car, Ive tried every jap breaker in the country and they've never heard of my car, most dont want to order glass from Japan too, Nissan Tralee quoted me 684+VAT for the window so thats a no go. Basically I cant get a window for it ANYWHERE, internet, specailist forums, eBay... nowhere. Managed to track down a similar car in the Caribean but the guy isnt willing to post the glass as it will more than likely arrive in bits...:mad:

So I've resigned myself to putting in two matching perspex windows in the rear, are they an NCT fail, would they have to be clear, ideally Id like to put in black perspex as its isnt as noticable as perspex, I dont want to draw anymore unwanted attention to it. They would be static windows, its a coupe so they wouldnt be moving.

Ideas?

Car is a Nissan 200sx B-14.

does your insurance not cover glass,

The irony is that the thief would now be in your situation if he had actually stolen it.

Would insurance not cover the cost of the replacement window ?
    does your insurance not cover glass,

Unfortunately not. Id say the thief was only interested in a spin around the woods and then burn it out, its not worth stealing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well, I'd keep schtum, actually.

How, why, would they notice.

And, if they do, it's still arguable. Take the new Renault Megane 26R. Ships with lexan side windows and rear windscreen as standard - if it's good enough for Renault, I don't see the issue, tbh....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Lexan is a scratch and shatter-proof polycarbonate. It's used in motorsport quite a lot so it should be fairly easy to get a cert for it.

It might be worthwhile just putting the car through the test as is. It'll be a free visual re-test if they chose to fail you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Due to the black inner masking, seal moulding and chrome surround it will be very difficult (but not impossible) to fit either polycarboate or clear ABS. I've used both (ABS is cheaper, lighter and easier to work with but not as resilient) on both road and race cars. I'd fit it and wait for the NCT man to spot it, but in your case this will be tricky as the pane has quite a curve in it - not easy to put in a flat plastic piece.

If you want the name of a mate of mine in Ashbourne who runs a plastic fabrication company, drop a PM. He'll tell you quickly whether it is possible to match it or not. You'll have to fit the plastic yourself or bring it to a window fitter. As for certification, me doubts it...

'cptr

Advertisement