Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bus Lane Not In Use

Options
  • 31-07-2009 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,112 ✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or are these signs everywhere?

Id be inclined to think they have been forgotten about and the lanes actually are in use (as I see buses in them all the time)

I think they just cause confusion (do I drive in the bus lane or not?) and the longer they are there the more likely people will continue to drive in the bus lane if/when they are removed.

Specifically Im thinking of the grange road/tailors lane and dundrum bypass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think it's simple enough - if the sign says 'Bus lane not in use' then the bus lane's not in use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭villager

my reading of these signs are that it does not mean you cannot drive in them but that bus lane regulations are not being enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,112 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

its obviously a temporary sign as its plastic and held on with cable ties...its also been there for nearly a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I treat the out-of-use buslane as a regular left lane, and keep left unless overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I love those signs, especially since most people ignore / are afraid of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I love those signs, especially since most people ignore / are afraid of them :)

SShh....don't educate them!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

GreeBo wrote: »
    Is it just me or are these signs everywhere?

Id be inclined to think they have been forgotten about and the lanes actually are in use (as I see buses in them all the time)

I think they just cause confusion (do I drive in the bus lane or not?) and the longer they are there the more likely people will continue to drive in the bus lane if/when they are removed.

Specifically Im thinking of the grange road/tailors lane and dundrum bypass.
    They are all newly rebuilt roads and the bus lanes where added at construction time so they don't have to retro fit them. We where supposed to get new buses and routes to use them. But that ain't happening now. They are now for drivers who know the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

For the dundrum bypass it was stipulated in planning that they were to put in a three lane road each direction, two traffic lanes and a bus lane, but there was a mix up and this is what went in. On the other side of the roundabout they have widened the bridge to put in the extra lane but on the wesley college side they are obviously still scratching their heads.

This is why there are bus lane not in use signs because they have to provide two lanes for normal traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The problem with the Dundrum one is that on the big roundabout at the entrance to the blocks of apartments (on the right as your heading towards the SC from the M50) the left lane is a left only lane, Now I always use it to go straight because I've come down the bus lane, but are they expecting traffic to merge back into the right lane to go through the roundabout then back to the left lane again?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've been stopped twice on these by Guards. Once in front of the actual not in use sign. Priceless. One guy was v sound about it. His response when I pointed it out was an embarrassed chuckle and "OK if you say nothing neither will I. Eyes must be going. I need to lie down" :D. The other guy was a knobend. Didn't like the obvious being pointed out and then started going around the car with a fine toothcomb, so I told him I had important business and if he wasn't going to charge me then let me on my way. I didn't wait for an answer.

Bus lanes outside of their hours of use are great time savers. It shocks me how so few sheep people actually read the signs and use them. The amount that honk their horns or give me dirty looks. Morons. I've been stopped once by another guard on a bike driving in one of these too. He was sound too and actually blushed before failing to keep a straight face.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement