Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toshiba Equium L350 - Power but no HDD activity

Options
  • 31-07-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

My nephews laptop is powering on, the fan comes up, lights on the motherboard. But the HDD does not kick in. Nothing displayed on screen. No lights on disk drive. Ive opened it up and checked for loose connections. Thats pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

Any ideas what I should be looking for?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭draven3410

how old is the laptop? either the hdd is dead, wiped or the laptop isnt booting from it. When it starts press f3 button (could be another button on you r laptop) to bring you to a start up screen. make sure it say boot up from hdd and not from disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

If it was me I would first try to establish if the hdd is being seen in the bios. When you boot the laptop it will tell you which key to press to enter setup to check this. If its not listed then you have a broken disk, cable or board interface issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Laptop is a year old. Im not getting to a BIOS screen so cant hit any keys. HDD funked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Would you be able to test the HDD on another laptop/computer?

doesn't sound like the harddisk is the problem. looks like it might be the system board. Do you see anything on the screen when you turn the laptop on?

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Would you be able to test the HDD on another laptop/computer?

Not at the moment.

strangeloop, nothing appears on the screen, although if you look closely you can see the monitor come to life but the screen stays blank.

Too me it sounds like the system board is gone, or the ram or cpu. Have you tried taking the ram out and putting it back in? This is the problem with laptops, if a part goes then your left with an expensive paperweight. :mad:

Yeah Ive reseated the RAM. Its just annoying not knowing what it is. I might drop it in somewhere and see if they have any joy fixing it.

//goes off to read sticky about where to repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

plug it into an external monitor to rule out the screen being dead

Advertisement