Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B.T.E.A.

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭

Did anyone here get notification of being awarded the BTEA and if so how long did it take to come through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I remember, in my case not getting the allowance until I actually registered and got an official stamped letter from the college confirming this and sent it into my local social welfare office. I think it was not until October before I recieved the allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Simtech

Joe1919 wrote: »
    I remember, in my case not getting the allowance until I actually registered and got an official stamped letter from the college confirming this and sent it into my local social welfare office. I think it was not until October before I recieved the allowance.

Thanks, but do you remember getting notification of it's being awarded, or does that even happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,966 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

If it's your first time getting it then you have to get a letter stamped from the college/uni on registration day saying that you are enrolled on your choice of course and are a full time student. Then you take it to the social welfare office and they will put your claim into payment. I take it you have already filled out the form about the BTEA and sent it on to them. There is also a 500 euro allowance you get every year which goes towards cost of books, college material etc. It's really useful.

I'm going into my second year in Sept and when I was in to them a few weeks ago they said they will be aware of when I'm going back. I wanted to let them know anyway. They sent me out a renewal form for it before I finished for the summer.

Best of luck....and enjoy your studies!!! :)

I see. Thank you kindly!

Got a letter from the local social welfare office today to say that my BTEA application has been successful. :) Yay!! Finally I am certain that I will actually be going to university for at least the next three years. Huge relief!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bindi

Simtech wrote: »
    Got a letter from the local social welfare office today to say that my BTEA application has been successful. :) Yay!! Finally I am certain that I will actually be going to university for at least the next three years. Huge relief!!!
    Congrats to you! Just a small question. I am going to apply for BTEA very soon. I cant register at my college until sept. how come you got accepted before proof of registration etc. Is there a way around that?
    Bindi

bindi wrote: »
    Congrats to you! Just a small question. I am going to apply for BTEA very soon. I cant register at my college until sept. how come you got accepted before proof of registration etc. Is there a way around that?
    Bindi

Get the application form and fill in everything you can. Bring it into your social welfare office and give it to them. You won't have dates on it but they are not required yet. You then register with the institution as required for their admissions process and send the registrars' office/admissions office letter to the same social welfare office in order for payment to commence. Being approved and being paid do not go hand in hand. Though I am approved I will not be paid until I produce proof of having commenced my degree. Apply immediately!! I applied the moment I accepted the CAO offer which was a month ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AT111

A quick question on BTEA - I'm about to start my second year on BTEA on a 2 year course. Is it possible to extend it for another 2 years, if I want to continue from Cetificate level to Degree level.

Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭magicface

Hi there I am moving from Galway to Dublin for college and been accepted into DIT. I have applied for BETA and just wondering how can I change my JA to Dublin until its changed from JA to BETA cause I wont be able to travel home to collect the money(if ya get me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

magicface wrote: »
    Hi there I am moving from Galway to Dublin for college and been accepted into DIT. I have applied for BETA and just wondering how can I change my JA to Dublin until its changed from JA to BETA cause I wont be able to travel home to collect the money(if ya get me)

Find A Post Office in Dublin and inform the welfare that you want your payment made to that post office because of your change in living arrangements.

You have to go to the usual hatch where you would sign on, and they'll switch it over not a bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bindi

I just received notification that my BTEA application was successful. I am thrilled. Oh thank you god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bindi

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

Congratulations and the best of luck:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can you get B.T.E.A if your on JSB/JSA?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SuperTyper

bindi wrote: »
    I just received notification that my BTEA application was successful. I am thrilled. Oh thank you god!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bindi

Same here. Got the letter confirming for year 2. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

How long does it take to get your Reply? I left mine in last week, with offer, approval of registered student, college stamp, etc?

Hi googlehead

I'm going into my second year. Before I finished in May I had to fill out a form and hand it into the Social Welfare. They called me a few days ago asking what date I was returning on. If it is your first year then they should get back to you in the next week or so. They are processing everybody's applications so it's just taking some time. Best of luck in your studies. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭googlehead

DenMan wrote: »
    Hi googlehead

I'm going into my second year. Before I finished in May I had to fill out a form and hand it into the Social Welfare. They called me a few days ago asking what date I was returning on. If it is your first year then they should get back to you in the next week or so. They are processing everybody's applications so it's just taking some time. Best of luck in your studies. :)

Thanks, fingers crossed, no BTEA no study for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greengal

just a quick question:have sent in my application for BTEA..registered in college today,if I head down to the SW with my student card will that be accepted as proof of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

just ask the college for a letter stating your start and end date with a stamp thats all that they will accept

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 subnation

Hey guys, does anyone know the situation with rent allowance and the BTEA? I'm in receipt of rent allowance at the moment but moving to Galway from Limerick very soon as college is starting monday, will I need to apply again in Galway through the Galway HSE? Thx in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

subnation wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know the situation with rent allowance and the BTEA? I'm in receipt of rent allowance at the moment but moving to Galway from Limerick very soon as college is starting monday, will I need to apply again in Galway through the Galway HSE? Thx in advance.

hey subnation, i am almost certian you need to go to your local HSE office and inform them of your change in circumstances, you are intitled to rent allowance on BETA, but its always best to inform then of any changes because if the accommodation costs more when you move you may get a increased payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

got qualification for the BTEA as was on jos seekers benefit , do you not get the same on BTEA as you did on the job seekers benefit ?

Seres wrote: »
    got qualification for the BTEA as was on jos seekers benefit , do you not get the same on BTEA as you did on the job seekers benefit ?

you get Full standered rate of the payment you were getting, so if you were means tested and was getting a reduced payment, you will get the full payment on BETA. e.g if you were on jobseekers, single, no dependents, under 25 and living at home and you were getting a reduced payment of say €100, when you move to BETA you will get the full payment of €204.30. you will no longer be means tested on your parents. also if you get a qualifying adult payment, ie for you spouse, you will continue to get that, or any other increments you were receiving, hope i make some scene. :)

DK47 wrote: »
    you get Full standered rate of the payment you were getting, so if you were means tested and was getting a reduced payment, you will get the full payment on BETA. e.g if you were on jobseekers, single, no dependents, under 25 and living at home and you were getting a reduced payment of say €100, when you move to BETA you will get the full payment of €204.30. you will no longer be means tested on your parents. also if you get a qualifying adult payment, ie for you spouse, you will continue to get that, or any other increments you were receiving, hope i make some scene. :)
    yes you are very clear, thank you , have you a link to this info , cause i seem to be getting the reduced rate !

yes you are very clear, thank you , have you a link to this info , cause i seem to be getting the reduced rate !

sure try here , where you going to collage?:)

DK47 wrote: »
    sure try here , where you going to collage?:)
    its actual my partner but said it was for myself to make it easier , his going to sligo it , startin monday , software development course , thanks again for info :)

its actual my partner but said it was for myself to make it easier , his going to sligo it , startin monday , software development course , thanks again for info :)

best of luck!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭dumbblonde122

Simtech wrote: »
    Get the application form and fill in everything you can. Bring it into your social welfare office and give it to them. You won't have dates on it but they are not required yet. You then register with the institution as required for their admissions process and send the registrars' office/admissions office letter to the same social welfare office in order for payment to commence. Being approved and being paid do not go hand in hand. Though I am approved I will not be paid until I produce proof of having commenced my degree. Apply immediately!! I applied the moment I accepted the CAO offer which was a month ago.

hi where can i get the appplication form please?

• Advertisement

hi where can i get the appplication form please?

hi dumbblonde122

you can get an application form here , check out here for more information , and If you are getting an unemployment payment, you should return your application form to your Social Welfare Local Office.hope this helps:)

Advertisement