Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing hdd with vista for xp

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

alright lads have a slight problem,

My da has a hp pavilion dv6000 running vista and wants to be rid of s**ty vista "his words" and run xp. so i got another hdd and swapped them inserted xp disk and this is where i run into problems.
    firstly the disk runs and spends a minute or two loading files as per normal it then gives me a message that there is no hdd found and goes to.. exit installation and restart the computer, giving me 30 seconds to remove disk before restart. now at first i thought the hdd was dodgy so put the original back in and thried to install xp over this and then it did the same thing only i got one step further where after the loading of files i was giving the option to install xp repair xp and so on so i seleted for a clean install and then low and behold.... there was no hdd to be found on the system.
    Very puzzled.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading
    Dave
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

you need the xp driver for the sata controller look on the hp site for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

ok thanks mate i will try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You'll also need a floppy disk to put the drivers on, then at the beginning of setup, press F6 and it will let you use those drivers on the floppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

yeah i discovered the floppy disc part. Is it possible to use an external floppy drive? usb type?
    thanks again for replys.

Advertisement