Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom Paypal Question

Options
  • 31-07-2009 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

I have a site where I want to start selling a service. I would like to integrate a payment system in to the site and not redirect to an offsite payment gateway to carry out the transaction. To keep things simple I am looking at using Paypal as I'm not up for the hassle of having my bank setup a merchant account and using seperate Payment Service Provider.

So I have a business paypal account, I have my PayPal API credentials, which I assume I can use via a SOAP interface from my own website code. I am also sorting out SSL for my own site. My plan is to have customers enter their payment details via secured page on my own website. Then using a SOAP call to PayPal carry out the transaction without leaving my website.

Is this possible using Website Payments Standard? or do I need Pro?

What really annoys me when I look at PayPal docs, is all this waffle about using their "buttons" and having HTML code generated for you. I am a developer, I don't want any of that. I just want to be able to write my own SOAP client to the PayPal service, and pay somewhere in the region of 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction, with no setup or ongoing fees from PayPal.

Am I asking too much?

Also what is the settlement period for PayPal, if someone buys from me today using their credit card, how many days can I expect to wait before the funds show up in my PayPal account?

Thanks for any help you can provide guys ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bigbadcon

ontheway wrote: »
    2.9% + $0.30 per transaction

Unfortunately the fees you mentioned are incorrect.

I thought the same until I got hit with the european rates which are a lot worse..

3.4% + €0.35 EUR

If they have a paypal account it goes in instantly. Not sure about if they're paying by credit card. Probably a few days..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

Sorry in a rush here so don't have time to go into detail on PayPals offering but I thought it was worth mentioning if you go down the approach of accepting the card details on your server then you will have more work to do for PCI compliance.
    This is the reason that most people opt to use the hosted payment page solutions where the card holder is directed to a secure payment site hosted by the payment provider to enter their card details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ontheway

Cheers bigbadcon for the heads up on costs, appreciate it ;)

I see you're just using a standard redirect on your site. Can anyone shed any info on what I propose. Looking in to it further I see I can download their SOAP SDK. I also have access to their sample code library (which is always nice).

I noticed that for their API sample code they have a dozen or so different processes listed. Would I be right in thinking that DoDirectPayment is all I need to process a single credit card transaction....URL="https://cms.paypal.com/cms_content/US/en_US/files/developer/soap_DoDirectPayment_php.txt"]php sample code here[/URL

[edit]Cheers podgeen, going through it as we speak[/edit]

Advertisement