Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swine Flu - Schools staying shut in Sept?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

I heard today that the HSE have decided that the Schools are going to stay shut in September and will only re-open after a mass vaccination program against Swine Flu.

- Anyone else heard similar rumours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:rolleyes:

This is turning into the biggest overreaction in history :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I doubt it... that vaccination won't be available for months afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

OMG me needs links to this rumour, does this mean I have extra time to buy the uniform & books:eek: Happy days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Raiser wrote: »
    I heard today that the HSE have decided that the Schools are going to stay shut in September and will only re-open after a mass vaccination program against Swine Flu.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Holy **** I wish this happened when I went to school. But no we only ever got to walk over disinfectant mats for foot and mouth, thats as far as the excitement went for me.

• Advertisement

I wonder will the HSE insist my office close if I ask them nicely?

Edit: sorry HSC are my incompetant co-workers

I wonder will the HSC insist my office close if I ask them nicely?
    HSE babe....sounds like HSC but Its not:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wonder will the HSC insist my office close if I ask them nicely?

Only if your boss is Miss Piggy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is there any requirement at present for schools/colleges to close?
    Schools/colleges should continue to operate normally unless advised by local
    Department of Public Health staff in the Health Service Executive (HSE). The current
    advice from the Department of Health and Children to the effect that there is no
    current issue regarding schools/colleges closing and may be found at
    http://www.dohc.ie This will be updated by the Department of Health and Children
    as needs be.

From the DES website.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's just like the "contaminated" pig scandal! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

That_Guy wrote: »
    Only if your boss is Miss Piggy.

well since the cookie monster and miss piggy are generally within close proximity of each other I reckon he has a good case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

No, highly doubt it. Swine flu will spread through schools whether we like it or not, no point worrying about it. The vaccines won't be availiable to the public for 6 months at the very least. I think they're still in testing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

- Anyone else heard similar rumours?

There was a letter on the Indo the other day, some urging this, to prevent the spread of swine flu, but as another poster pointed it, is a dramatic overreaction and might not even be a good idea.

genericguy wrote: »
    well since the cookie monster and miss piggy are generally within close proximity of each other .

only when that damn frog is not around

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

only when that damn frog is not around

That's it!!! Cookies and pigs are the source of swine flu. It's so simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Maddison wrote: »
    OMG me needs links to this rumour, does this mean I have extra time to buy the uniform & books:eek: Happy days!!!

Well fair play to you. It's not often a student buys their own uniform and books.

What class are you going into?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

O for gods sake....

Till I see the above OP's "news" in the papers, denied by a FF politician and witness huge Harney hatching a box of vaccine, THEN I believe it to be true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

There will be murder in my sisters place if she can't propell her one and only out of the house come sept 1st.

TheZohan wrote: »
    Well fair play to you. It's not often a student buys their own uniform and books.

What class are you going into?
    No dear.....I have to buy my darling sons back to school crap....although you have just given me an idea

gets hammer to said sons piggy bank

Can we send them all back to school now since they'll be missing out come September?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

No dear.....I have to buy my darling sons back to school crap....although you have just given me an idea

gets hammer to said sons piggy bank

Fancy dress? :D

TheZohan wrote: »
    Fancy dress? :D

Pics or GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Crazy idea, send them back and just get it over with. Cabin fever will be setting in shortly, the weather is not exactly helping.

The missus will go loopers if she has to put up with another 6 weeks of the whining whelps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Media bias and risk over-estimation as usual. Don't worry you'll be back studying hard in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

Now that CJD, Bird flu and SARS are gone by the way side I suppose we have to have something else to be worried about. The fact that the economy is majorly fúcked is going to cause a lot more grief to people than catching swine flu is imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Media bias and risk over-estimation as usual. Don't worry you'll be back studying hard in September :)

Why do I have to go to school in September? - I'm a 33 year old IT Professional.

- Man, this really sucks....... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nellie1305

The swine flu "pandemic" is not mass hysteria - it is very real. I have 2 sick children at home, one with confirmed swine flu (and just discharged from hospital isolation) and one who has just started coming down with the symptoms. They are both on tamiflu.
    I reckon that by September a large portion of the school going population will have already had the virus because it is so very contageous. It really is no big deal and can be managed at home with nurofen and calpol, similar to the standard flu. My daughter was only hospitalised because she had another medical problem which made her symptons more severe.
    I even heard that in the UK parents are having swine flu parties as the WANT their kids to catch it and be done with it, a bit like the chicken pox!

My advice to all is to brace yourself for the fact you might well get the virus but don't panic as it is just another strain of flu and should be treated in the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Why do I have to go to school in September? - I'm a 33 year old IT Professional.

- Man, this really sucks....... :(

Fair enough, just assumed that seeing as you care whether or not the schools would be open, that you're in school. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its been taken very seriously. I work for a 3rd level institution and they are certainly planning for a serious outbreak. I wouldnt be spending your book money on cider just yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

WUHOO!!!! Less traffic on the roads!

Advertisement