Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we report suspected social welfare fraud

Options
  • 31-07-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

what do people think? Yes we should its our tax money

or - no - mind your own business

Social Welfare have a confidential fraud area,where you can report annoymously..Should we report, those 'single mothers' with their partners living with them etc etc........I think we all know someone who we suspect of SW fraud,imagine the savings that could be made!! Or would it just turn into a witch hunt:cool:

Fraud section contact details - from the bottom of this page - http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Press/Press.../pr210109.aspx

"Reporting possible fraud The Central Control Section of the Department of Social and Family Affairs accepts reports of possible fraud offered by members of the public in relation to the Department’s schemes.
    Reports are accepted by email, phone or in writing. All reports are dealt with in confidence. A member of the public may give details anonymously.
    Contact Details:
    By email: central.control@welfare.ie
    By phone: (01) 704 3000, ask for Central Control Section,
    By Post: Central Control Division, Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co Leitrim."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

YES. Report everything. Report everyone that you know is committing SW fraud. Thats (ie fraud) one of the reasons the country is in the shambles it is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Framework

Have you ever reported someone Max? and if you havent is it because you didnt have anyone to report? And if you did,what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shame there was no report line for the Anglo Irish Bank and all the others that virtually bankrupted this country. Any social welfare fraud is peanuts in comparison.

greendom wrote: »
    Shame there was no report line for the Anglo Irish Bank and all the others that virtually bankrupted this country. Any social welfare fraud is peanuts in comparison.

Well the banks is a little off topic but if you read the article I posted - 1/2 a billion in 1 year(2008) hardly peanuts!!

Almost €½ billion saved through social welfare fraud crackdown

Framework wrote: »
    Have you ever reported someone Max? and if you havent is it because you didnt have anyone to report? And if you did,what happened?
    No, I havent. I'd love to though, theres very few things that piss me off more than scroungers getting free money. The most rife is the "single" mother getting lone parents allowance, childrens allowance, additional €36 per week suplement to the Jobseekers Allowance, and to top it all off, getting rent allowance for "renting" a place from their partner.

Them, and the so called "social welfare tourists" who fly in once a month to sign on, and get the payments weekly to their bank accounts.

:mad::mad::mad:

[/rant]

Now if someone is entitled to it obviously thats all well and good, but if we all reported the fraudsters, then there would theoretically at least, be more money for those that actually need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Framework wrote: »
    Well the banks is a little off topic but if you read the article I posted - 1/2 a billion in 1 year(2008) hardly peanuts!!

Almost €½ billion saved through social welfare fraud crackdown

That's a fair sum of money; still pretty small compared to the big boys though.

Of course social welfare fraud is wrong, but if the government had paid as much attention to the bankers etc, the government would have a lot more cash to help the country out of the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

[QUOTE=Max Power1;6139739Thats (ie fraud) one of the reasons the country is in the shambles it is in.[/QUOTE]

My god, do you really think that social welfare fraud has brought the country to it's current sorry state??? I really don't know how to respond to such a reactionary and ill thought out post. Hope it stays fine for you....

ok this thread is gone way off topic already..Im not interested in banks,who caused this mess etc... Just wanted peoples opinions on whether they should report suspected abuses or not?

My god, do you really think that social welfare fraud has brought the country to it's current sorry state??? I really don't know how to respond to such a reactionary and ill thought out post. Hope it stays fine for you....
    No. I said it was one of the reasons. Political incompetency is the main reason.

And i dont know what you meant by "hope it all stays fine for you" tbh. (Btw i'm on JSB, and struggle to make ends meet weekly on €204, which is a substantial drop off in income for me. I just do it legally and above board.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Yes, if you believe someone is defrauding the social welfare system you should report it.

No real need for discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

I can see nothing wrong in reporting a fraud if you have good enough reasons to suspect it.

It's not like telling them "this bloke is a criminal" when you're not sure, you're telling them "go look into them".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement