Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting insured with 3 years endorsements on Provisional license

Options
  • 31-07-2009 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

If you were getting a 1.6 litre and lived in the D.24 area does anyone know how much insurance would cost. What is the ball park? more than 4000?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Get the phone book. Look up the number for every insurer you can think of. Ring them. And find the cheapest quote. Job done in under an hour.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What are the endorsements for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Ring brokers, They'll be able to you straight off whether the have companies quoting for drivers with endorsements.

I know there is an insurer called Asgard who only sell through brokers and have pretty decent premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I would be surprised if you got a quote at any price.

Think about getting a car under 1 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

I have a full clean license for over a year, and only FBD will quote me for a car with a 2 litre engine because I drove my mums car under them for years previously.

The OP has a multiple endorsement learners permit, and is looking at a 1.6 car. Probably no No Claims Bonus. He's also a man (Andy) and possibly young too.

That's a total of 6 Red flags.

I would be extremely surprised if the OP got a quote for anything over 1.1 litres. Even then you'd be looking at 4 grand minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dragonsgates

Andyfbt wrote: »
    If you were getting a 1.6 litre and lived in the D.24 area does anyone know how much insurance would cost. What is the ball park? more than 4000?

All of that and still on a prov.:D

Stay off the roads;)

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

ull probably only be able to get insured wit the likes of excess direct or someone like that due to your licence history so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

3 endorsements
    Provisional license
    1.6 litre
    Living in Tallaght

Hate to tell you.... that's gonna be hard! Sure Quinn wont even quote for people in Tallaght or Clondalkin any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

SeanW wrote: »
    I have a full clean license for over a year, and only FBD will quote me for a car with a 2 litre engine because I drove my mums car under them for years previously.

The OP has a multiple endorsement learners permit, and is looking at a 1.6 car. Probably no No Claims Bonus. He's also a man (Andy) and possibly young too.

That's a total of 6 Red flags.

I would be extremely surprised if the OP got a quote for anything over 1.1 litres. Even then you'd be looking at 4 grand minimum.
    You forgot D24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

steve06 wrote: »
    Sure Quinn wont even quote for people in Tallaght or Clondalkin any more.

They quoted me and I live in Tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They quoted me and I live in Tallaght.
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/why-your-car-costs-you-more-north-of-the-liffey-1778051.html

"Quinn Direct said it would not give quotes for residents of Tallaght and Clondalkin for the foreseeable future."

This is from last month only!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I thought an insurance company HAD to quote you - even if it were telephone numbers to be rid of you.

BTW, what's wrong with Clondalkin - close to the Liffey valley shopping centre and the area looked fine. Could actually be moving there for work purposes. It looked fine to me. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

steve06 wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/why-your-car-costs-you-more-north-of-the-liffey-1778051.html

"Quinn Direct said it would not give quotes for residents of Tallaght and Clondalkin for the foreseeable future."

This is from last month only!

They gave me a quote ten days ago. They were about €70 dearer then the cheapest quote too, not some 4000 euro quote where they obviously just wanted me to pi$$ off.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭s14driftking

smcgiff wrote: »
    I thought an insurance company HAD to quote you - even if it were telephone numbers to be rid of you.

BTW, what's wrong with Clondalkin - close to the Liffey valley shopping centre and the area looked fine. Could actually be moving there for work purposes. It looked fine to me. :confused:
    its a area with a lot of car robberies for joy riding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

smcgiff wrote: »

If you take a spin around the area you'll know...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is Quinn's restriction not just specific addresses in Tallaght/Clondalkin rather than a blanket D22/D24 ban?

I told them my place of normal usage had changed from Tallaght to Kildare (as I've got a company van now and never, ever drive my normal car to/for work) and the lad on the phone said that it didn't have any difference...

Anyway, for the OP: You're not going to get a quote on a 1.6 off anyone except maybe XSDirect. Get the smallest engined, cheapest car you can get and get the full licence ASAP. Quinn and 123 are both reasonable enough for people with relatively bad driving history (claims, endorsements, etc) once you've got a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Andyfbt, you'd improve your situation a lot if you could hold off buying the car until you get a proper license. The waiting times are not that long now. I presume you've been driving more than 6 mths now so you already qualify to sit the test. With a license you'll get more reasonable insurance and other privileges such as driving unaccompanied, motorways, drive in NI & abroad, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

So as soon as I get me licence back just apply for the driving test you think is best? Was going to do that anyway. Yeah I was driving for 2 years before lost me licence for being over the limit the morning after the night before. If it is over 4k though it is nearly not worth it but dying to get back on the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Andyfbt wrote: »
    So as soon as I get me licence back just apply for the driving test you think is best? Was going to do that anyway. Yeah I was driving for 2 years before lost me licence for being over the limit the morning after the night before. If it is over 4k though it is nearly not worth it but dying to get back on the road
    So what are the other 2 endorsements for Andyftb?

Advertisement