Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty-Ten or Two Thousand and Ten?

Options
  • 31-07-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I tend to get a little annoyed at the smallest of things. One thing that really gets my goat is people saying 2000-and-10 instead of 20-10. I let it fly with two thousand and one up to two thousand and nine (I would have said it is 20-oh-nine or just oh-nine). But I can't stand 2000-and-10 or even 2000-and-12 when talking about the 20-12 olympics. Am I the only one who gets annoyed by this? In the 20th century it was just 78, 86, 99.... or occassionally you might lengthen it out to 19-99, why has it changed?

Two Thousand and Ten or Twenty-Ten 60 votes

2000-and-10
    0% 0 votes
    20-10
    100% 60 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

+1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Thank Heaven for 20/20 vision ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Two Naught One Naught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Jayo Robards

20goto10 wrote: »
    I tend to get a little annoyed at the smallest of things. One thing that really gets my goat is people saying 2000-and-10 instead of 20-10. I let it fly with two thousand and one up to two thousand and nine (I would have said it is 20-oh-nine or just oh-nine). But I can't stand 2000-and-10 or even 2000-and-12 when talking about the 20-12 olympics. Am I the only one who gets annoyed by this? In the 20th century it was just 78, 86, 99.... or occassionally you might lengthen it out to 19-99, why has it changed?

So you would pronounce the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey" as "20 oh 1 A Space Odyssey"? :confused:

Sir I think this is one of the rare occasions in life where the majority is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I tend to get a little annoyed at the smallest of things.

Indeed you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

734,153 days since the birth of Jesus Chrisssttt

Add as day as required, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I'm quietly confident that in two thousand and ninetynine, barring a nuclear hellfire or the rapture, people will go back to calling it 99.

fitting username OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know what annoys me? The way some people say your username OP.

20goto10

It's obviously 20 Got O Ten but some morons say it like this:

20 Go To 10

or like this:

20 G Oto 10

What the hell's a G Oto? Nobody knows - but it's annoying when people say it. That particular bit of nonsense really gets my goat. In fact not only does it just get my goat, it gets it, pulls at its horns and then messes with its tail some.

It harasses my goat.

Stop harassing my goat you a*sholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

So you would pronounce the movie "2001 A Space Odyssey" as "20 oh 1 A Space Odyssey"? :confused:

Sir I think this is one of the rare occasions in life where the majority is right.
    That proves my point. It was called 2000-and-1 for dramatic reasons. Usually accompanied by a drum roll and trumpets burr-burrrr-burrrrrrr... dum-dum-dum-dum-dummmm.

In the real world it should have been 20-oh-one.

• Advertisement

That proves my point.

No it doesn't. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

In the real world it should have been 20-oh-one.

No it shouldn't.

How many years is it since the alleged birth of Jesus? If you answer "twenty oh nine" to that, you would sound like a sillypants.

It's two thousand and nine years since santa claus The fictional bearded man was born, so the year is two thousand and nine.

However, it doesn't really matter how it's pronounced as long as the point gets across, so if I said "oh nine" I'd also be correct, because people would know what year I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Sofaspud wrote: »
    No it shouldn't.

How many years is it since the alleged birth of Jesus? If you answer "twenty oh nine" to that, you would sound like a sillypants.

It's two thousand and nine years since santa claus The fictional bearded man was born, so the year is two thousand and nine.

However, it doesn't really matter how it's pronounced as long as the point gets across, so if I said "oh nine" I'd also be correct, because people would know what year I'm talking about.
    So you used to say one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine? Or did you say 1999 or just 99. You can of course say it how you like, I just find it annoying. I wonder what changed it? Probably the book/movie. People have been calling it 2000-and-1 ever since the sixties so it was bound to have stuck for that year and every other year.

Anyway, my gripe is with 20-10 and onwards. btw AnonoBoy, how do you pronounce the sequel, 2010? Because from what I remember it was called 20-10.

So you used to say one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine? Or did you say 1999 or just 99. You can of course say it how you like, I just find it annoying. I wonder what changed it? Probably the book/movie. People have been calling it 2000-and-1 ever since the sixties so it was bound to have stuck for that year and every other year.

Anyway, my gripe is with 20-10 and onwards. btw AnonoBoy, how do you pronounce the sequel, 2010? Because from what I remember it was called 20-10.

Well 20 Got O Ten I always called it Two Thousand and Ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The year after 2009 FTW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

dont people refer to 1906 as "nineteen hundred and six" as well as "nineteen-o-six" sometimes?

doesnt really bother me either way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

So you used to say one thousand nine hundred and ninety nine? Or did you say 1999 or just 99. You can of course say it how you like, I just find it annoying.

As I said in my self-saving disclaimer, you can say it however you want and it'll be correct either way! two-thousand-and-ten just feels more correct for me, twenty ten sounds more "blocky" or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

sam34 wrote: »
    dont people refer to 1906 as "nineteen hundred and six" as well as "nineteen-o-six" sometimes?

exactly!
    Therefore; was "nineteen-ninety nine" actually just a fad for 100 or so years, and the correct way really is supposed to be:

"Two-Thousand and twelve", and,
    "Nineteen-Hundred and Ninety-five".
    ?

As has been said before though - it makes no difference in the world anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

I would definately be a 2000-and-10 person but I can tolerate 20-10 I cannot, however, tolerate 20-oh-9! Oh that gets my goat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The same thing happened in 1900-1912 once you hit the "teen" years it will switch back. Until then you must live in abject misery.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Its nice to know that the way I pronounce something correctly really annoys someone.

Ah life's simple pleasures. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

20 10

I bored enough in work to even bother posting in this thread, sigh...

Role on 16.50, next bus outa here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

20 10

I bored enough in work to even bother posting in this thread, sigh...

Role on 16.50, next bus outa here

16 50 was ages ago man. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Two thousand and ten, the same as two thousand and nine.

2010 sounds too American, and retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

id be more inclined to go 2000 and 1 upto 2000 and 9, then 20 10, 20 20 etc. Cant see anyone in 50 years sayin 2000 and 59 anyway!

Just a quick question op, what did you call the year 2000?
    20 oh oh, 20 zero zero, 20 oh zero, 2000? so many options!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

coyle wrote: »
    Just a quick question op, what did you call the year 2000?
    20 oh oh, 20 zero zero, 20 oh zero, 2000? so many options!!

Y2K of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

1999 plus Vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I say two thousand and nine for this year so I imagine I will be saying two thousand and ten.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Where's the "couldn't give a crap" option or "I've better things to think about!" choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 The outlaw

I agree. It should be pronounced 20-10. The reason we say this year is "two thousand and nine" is because there was such a big deal about the new millenuim that everyone said "the year two thousand" and not "twenty hundred" or "twenty 0" etc.
    To add to my point in the year 1999, we did not say the year is "one thousand nine hundred and ninty nine".
    In fifty years time or more, people will look back on this year and call it "twenty 0 nine" and not "two thousand and nine". The same of course for the other years including 20-10!

Advertisement