Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions please

Options
  • 31-07-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭

http://www.evangelcathedral.net

make sure to let it load, and click around

oh and have your speakers on for full effect

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ocallagh wrote: »
    make sure to let it load, and click around

Usually a bad sign - how long does it take to load, if you're warning people about that ? Since most people who visit it won't get that warning, how long will they wait before giving up ?
    oh and have your speakers on for full effect

I personally detest websites that auto-play music, and having logged on to your site, this is no exception. If you feel that you must have audio, set it to "OFF" by default, to avoid someone diving for the close button as the music comes blaring out of their speakers at work, or clashing with something they've already chosen to listen to [ online radio station, etc ]

Other than that, it's way too busy for me with distractions left-right and centre; the content that someone has clicked/asked for is much too slow to load, and is difficult to read because all of the distracting background animations are still running.

It also appears to be 100% Flash, which means that you can say goodbye to being found on Google.

Sorry to be critical, but there's 4 straight red flags in there for me, athough to be fair it didn't take as long to load as I'd thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

3 problems

You have a splash intro screen. Nobody uses them anymore.

Secondly, you site is all done is flash. Not accessible for disabled people.

Things are also moving around. Very distracting. Even when reading the content, there is movement in the background.

EDIT
    don't have sound at the moment but generally the viewer should be the one that starts any sounds/music

Also your site loads ok without javascript but none of the menus will open up. Didn't notice any warning that javascript needs to be on

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Colonel_McCoy

too much happening in the intro, its like being in a rave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Sorry, put this up for a bit of a laugh... didn't think the thread would be taken seriously! No idea who designed it, the site is like nothing I've ever seen before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 ontheway

When I was in college, one of the good lecturers once said to us...."Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

I think that really applies here. We have someone knows how to use Flash, it's their chosen "use" that I have a problem with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Sorry, put this up for a bit of a laugh... didn't think the thread would be taken seriously! No idea who designed it, the site is like nothing I've ever seen before.
    This site was posted in Atheism & Agnosticism a while back - to a mixture of amusement and trauma. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Awesome site:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Just had another look there, for all the horrendous usability blunders if you were an evangelical nut it's the kind of site you'd go for. It is so far OTT it actually works!! The guitar solo at the start is hilarious, even clicking on contact us is fun. Don't get me wrong, as a professional website it ticks approximately 0 boxes but with their target audience in mind why not do something like that? Anyone with me or have I completely lost my marbles?

Advertisement