Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shifting an old car

Options
  • 31-07-2009 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

I'm thinking of changing car later this year early next year, I've seen a lot of threads with people complaining about low trade ins for their cars.
    My question is would a dealer even think of accepting a 10 year old small car?
    I wouldn't be looking for a lot, maybe $500 for it, but will a dealer consider it or just tell me to clear off?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

I'm thinking of changing car later this year early next year, I've seen a lot of threads with people complaining about low trade ins for their cars.
    My question is would a dealer even think of accepting a 10 year old small car?
    I wouldn't be looking for a lot, maybe $500 for it, but will a dealer consider it or just tell me to clear off?
    yes. they are all mad looking for second hand cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Absolutely. Your old model would be accepted as minimum deposit, tho your more than likely to find it sneaked in on interest of the car loan.

My guess would be, simply obtaining finance on a new model would be more difficult, but if you can get it, there are plenty of cars lying gathering dust, so a good deal should be possible.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭witless_steve

If I tried to trade it in against a used model would that be pushing my luck?
    I don't need finance I have the cash to buy a decent-ish car but I'd need to get rid of the old one. Don't fancy trying to sell it privately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭weepee

Why dont you place it on 'Gumtree'. Doesnt cost anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

You will do a hell of a lot better if you had no car to trade in and that you have the cash.

Try advertise it privately.....you'd be surprised how many people are looking for a cheap run-around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

Realistically. depending on car and condition you won't get anything for it. They will say "we will give you a 1000-1500 hundred for it against a used car",but the reality is that they would give you this discount anyway. What car is it. Sell it yourself for €500 and get straight deal discount on car you are buying. Dealers love straight deals.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I don't need finance I have the cash to buy a decent-ish car but I'd need to get rid of the old one. Don't fancy trying to sell it privately.
    I'm not understanding your issue, of course they'll take it off your hands - even if they just pass it straight on to a scrapyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

http://www.liffeyvalleyopel.ie/PromotionDetails.aspx?pid=79

This might be of interest to you
    The wife did this to get rid of her old Peugeot and got a very nice 08 Corsa to replace it.

Advertisement