Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbelievable

Options
  • 31-07-2009 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Haven't lived at home since I was 17, or had any contact with them really. Went back to college last sept...I'm 33. Applied for my grant & the CDVEC (shower of *****) turned down my grant application officially last week based on my fathers earnings, who I've never gotten a penny off. Ever.
    Told in June I wasn't getting my exam results 'cos the €900 registration fee was never paid ('cos I never got the grant) I didn't know this money was outstanding, I would have paid it over the year had I known. College told me I passed all my exams but 2 (they still won't give me the results).
    Appealed to the Dept. of Education. They told me it'll be 2 or 3 weeks before they can get even an acknowledgement of reciept of my appeal out to me.

The exam resit is today and they want €500 to resit it or €4500 to repeat the year.

I haven't a hope.

Thanks a million to the CDVEC. Completely screwed everything up on me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Did you apply for a grant as a mature independent candidate? If so then your fathers income has no relevance. Did you use your parents address or something for applying for the grant.
    Im 28 and going back to college and when filling in the form I just leave all the parents income parts blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

My sister's boyfriend is just filling out his forms to apply for a grant as a mature student also. But if you apply as a mature student you do not fill out the part about parents earnings, but only because he phoned the department he would have filled that piece in also. You should have written N/A for those parts of the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds very upsetting. You need to speak to someone in the student union of your college who can speak on your behalf about what's has happened and also get onto your local TD regarding the grant refusal.

I don't understand how you were able to start college without the registration fee being paid? Maybe there was an administrative error?

If you can't contact someone in SU, try the access office of your college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Mailed my TD but no contact so far. Don't know how I was allowed go through the year either. weird eh?
    also, didnt know you left the parents bit blank. had i known i'd be in a very different position now. Thats my course gone to the ****ter for sure. I did apply as an independent mature student but the rigmaroll they put me through. Social welfare and my community welfare officer both gave me letters saying I was assessed by them as an independent adult but because I was living with my aunt and uncle working as his carer while he was dying, it went against me I guess. I explained to the cdvec many times and in my appeal letter i have no dealings at all with my family which is true, not even christmas like.
    I owe the SU €300 'cos they sorted me out for a loan a few months ago & i'm not in a position to pay them just yet, so can't really ask them to help.
    3 or 4 people in my class are in exactly the same position. I don't have their numbers though, just heard it off someone.
    dunno what to do. given up on it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I really think you should call in or ring up your local TD. Go speak them face to face.

Regarding the SU, I think they will still help you. They will not hound you for the €300 especially if you explain your situation to them.

Is it the same person you are dealing with in the CDVEC? You should ask to speak to someone else about your case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

think i got bounced between 3 people in the cdvec..they were unhelpful putting it mildly.
    Studentfinance.ie says you automatically get the adjacent rate as an independent mature student. they should really fix that if it's not the case.
    Calling the TD on tuesday..are they not all on their holidays though?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭jamesdiver

sorry to read this. Thought id add my 2cents as i returned to college last year as mature ind candidate and received grant from county council. Yes, you must leave the parents income part blank if you are a mature ind candidate.

I strongly recommend you talk to the SU; they definetly wont hound you for the 300, and its prob a good time of the year to get fast action over this issue. As you and many others have probably found, the administration system dealing with grants etc are like the crystal maze, you gotta really dig for concise information.

and some advice for people hoping to apply for mature grants: keep every last bit of documentation from landlords. Keep bills, try get your name on some. Dont be satisfied until your landlord provides registered certificate of your lease, rent receipts are not sufficient as i found out.

if you have any other q's feel free to pm or mail me, i hope this situation i resolved, its the last thing that you should have to worry about returning to education

james

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Im in the very same situation as the op, but im going into 3rd year, I was under the impression that i was not entitled to a grant because I moved home and wasnt entitled to one because of families earnings even though my dads a retired widower.And know after 2 years I find this out that I am :eek: I feel like such an idiot, how did this pass me by.as far as I know it doesnt say anything about it on the form.So i just leave all this blank!!Lucky I came across this board.Thanks for all the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

So, does it mean i can apply as an independant mature student even if im still living at home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

lisajane, no you cannot apply as an independant mature candidate if your living at home. The original poster stated that they havent lived at home since they were 17.

• Advertisement
Advertisement