Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green green Ireland yeah right

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

We have a recycling business set up in another country which has turned out to be a huge success. We were hoping to expand into Ireland and we contacted so many councils,department of environment and you know what no answers received.

We have proved this has worked on a huge scale but wanted to talk to some local counsils to see what there costs were in recycling these products.

BUT HEY NO ANSWERS

SO THATS THERE IDEA OF HELPING THE ENVIRONMENT GOOD OLD IRISH GOVERNMENT

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Care to expand a bit on your ideas? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

If you have an economically self-sufficient, healthy, viable business you should not require subsidies, if you offer a service to councils which is more financially viable (and does not require financial or other incentives) there is no law preventing you from starting one up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sharik

I would like to hear more details.
    Not every recycling process is just green by definition.
    This thread could be interesting, but it is too general because you didn't provide any real information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

care to show us where this is working and the plan on how it will work in ireland?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

paullaugh wrote: »
    We have a recycling business set up in another country which has turned out to be a huge success. We were hoping to expand into Ireland and we contacted so many councils,department of environment and you know what no answers received.

We have proved this has worked on a huge scale but wanted to talk to some local counsils to see what there costs were in recycling these products.

BUT HEY NO ANSWERS

If you need information that councils and departments are not willing to give then try talking to individual council officials, councillors, or TDs, and, if that fails, maybe a freedom of information request.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paullaugh

Hi it is a very good viable business even in the present climate. And it also would be a great help in saving space in landfill sites.

I dont really want to give out to many details as of yet and dont think i am being a smart ass,i just want to get things moving and then i would have no problem telling you about my business.

I know there is no law in preventing me from starting up and we can do it without any grants. Its not that though i just want some general information of the local counsils regarding how much this product is costing them to dispose of.

Either way i know its costing them money and one local councilor has told me he will find out the information for me

so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

paullaugh wrote: »

BUT HEY NO ANSWERS
    In fairness you can't expect councils to respond to every speculative letter they get from people whose motivation is ultimately to sell stuff. It's not what they're there for. I think you've approached this the wrong way. There's a couple formal mechanisms that you can use to try to access the information that you need:

The first is Freedom of Information (FOI). See www.foi.gov.ie. How much individual local councils spend on waste management, for instance, would probably be accessible using this mechanism.

The second is Access to Information on the Environment (AIE). See the dept of environment website. As the name suggests it's for access to any information concerning environment generally, including waste. But it could be interpreted to exclude information regarding costs as your motivation is market research.

The FOI approach will cost you some money while I believe AIE does not. You'll need to check out both and see which is most appropriate for the information that you're looking for. Hope this helps.
    Not the language of someone about to do business with the councils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 paullaugh

Yeah i already have been down that route,but my point was i was not looking for grants or anything just information.

For anybody looking to get information forget all the main departments as they are just no good.

I got in touch with a local councilor and he got me all the relevant information and was more than helpful.

I agree i don't expect the councils to reply to every letter or email but i expect the people that say they want to make the environment greener to reply to something that has been proven to work.

I wrote this thread out of pure frustration and i stand by what i said,i did not want anything only information. I also sent them links to our venture but i got no reply.

I love my country and i am moving home to start this business up i just think the local counsels need to be more proactive.

Anyway things are moving and since i got the information from the councilor he has been in touch to set up a meeting also.

So they are some good guys but the main departments need to get their finger out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I’m not really seeing how this is going to develop into any kind of discussion of a “green issue” – all we seem to have here is somebody ranting about a council.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement