Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a begging scourge began in Longford?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Jesus, you can't pull up outside Luigis and sit in the car and enjoy a bag of chips:rolleyes:. Within 5 mins you're guaranteed a knock at the window. A Romanian looking woman asking for money. By the time you get rid of her your chips are cold:rolleyes:. 2 mins later another one comes to the window selling Padro pio fecking cards:o. Another 2 mins traveller kids come to the window with a sheet of paper and a pen "Would you like to sponsor me for blah blah" obviously a scam but judging by the list of names they are cleaning up:confused:

To top it off we went into the black olive for Sunday lunch and was just about to get into the roast beef and i looked up and at the end of the table travellers kids asking for sponsorship:rolleyes:

Is there no law against this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

Yeah its very annoying.. Ive seen them beg at mass too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'v seen the Romanian woman a lot of times and her son begging there around Heatons. PLLLLEZZZZZ i need money!!!! It wrecks my head.
    Please feck off out of me face more like. 10 mins later i saw her hopping into the husbands car. Newer than my own too....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭feelio

Disgrace, heard about this and this happened outside tesco's in castlebar, some foreign women begging for money hours later jumps in to a posh car, absolute disgrace :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Afaik it's illegal to actively beg. All they're supposed to do is sit there with a cup or something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

i only noticed the surge lately, as in the last week or so. will report it to the gardai anyway and see what they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

baldbear wrote: »
    10 mins later i saw her hopping into the husbands car. Newer than my own too....

I've seen it too, annoys the hell out of me as I used to give them a few coins thinking that they were genuinely homeless until I saw this it happen.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

Almost as bad as the beggers are those Concern workers on the streets who try to sign you up for monthly contributions... once they zero in on you it's like trying to run an assault course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Almost as bad as the beggers are those Concern workers on the streets who try to sign you up for monthly contributions... once they zero in on you it's like trying to run an assault course.

Was walking through NY once and i got targeted by one, she eventually went to lets go for a drink tactics to get me to sign:D

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭garfieldsghost

She was obviously going for the hard sell... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

sounds like you got the same guy that i did. fecker had shouted hello at me when i was about 50 yards away, and i was the only one on that side of the street. spent a fair amount of time telling him there was no way i'd give bank details to a stranger. don't think he got the message at all though. just wish he'd wash a bit more though. state of the head on him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement