Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the National Lottery say...

Options
  • 30-07-2009 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

...That they pay out €8 million EVERY MONTH on scratch cards alone. Anyone I've ever talked to has never won more than €8...so who the hell is winning all of this money??

They have posters and billboards up everywhere pronouncing this fact...I think I'd like to see some evidence of this. Have we ever actually looked at, how much money the National Lottery make? They can afford to just add 2 million to this month's lotto, just like that...

I smells a rat.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

how many people have you asked exactly? we'll do a calculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I'm stil asking....hold on til I ask the missus as well..... (.....)

That's ten now. She never so much as won a free ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most of it probably goes towards printing them

• Subscribers Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I'm stil asking....hold on til I ask the missus as well..... (.....)

That's ten now. She never so much as won a free ticket.

ok, so thats 10 out of 4.5 million or so. It's the other 4.499999 million people who are winning the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I don't believe it is a lie, i can't imagine anything run by the irish government would mislead the public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Scratchin my head to think of an answer to this....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

They pay out to charities and all that lark, not winners of big money because we all know they don't exist when it comes to scratch cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have won €25. Plenty of free ticket and smaller prize when I used to play them. Plenty of small prizes going around. Didn't even tell anyone when I won the €25. Small amounts of money are easily forgotten. Could easily believe €8m is won on scratchcards every month but alot more is spent on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sedantez

'for every €1 spent, 33c goes to charity' so they're not making that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Just use the national lottery to fund the healthcare system - lots of problems solved. We could replace the cash amounts on the cards with the name of treatments - match three colonoscopys and you win one. These could then be sold or swapped thus ensuring that we increase the wealth of society.

Onion for government methinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Used to work there and we'd print out the report of the large winners every night and there was always a good 10 - 20 large scratch card prizes...£2500 - £10,000

The extra money usually comes from unclaimed prizes of which there are a lot

Advertisement