Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nerd needed

Options
  • 30-07-2009 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all,

Firstly, this IS NOT a job offer. I'm looking for a nerd who lives in the NCW Abbeyfeale area to help me with some computery things. The person I want will know how to break computers, will know Linux inside out, will love playing with the Internet and understand some network stuff. I don't want a know-it all and I do want someone who is willing to learn and have some fun along the way. They must be able to drive, cause I live in the sticks and I need help at my place. As I said, this is not a job but I will cover expenses and a little extra and will need help probably throughout the summer for a couple of afternoons a week. If you're interested leave details and I'll get back to you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Gnat wrote: »
    I'm looking for a nerd...

I think you'll find that nerds don't like being called nerds, so you've alienated them all in your second sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gnat

Mr E wrote: »
    I think you'll find that nerds don't like being called nerds, so you've alienated them all in your second sentence.

One is what one is!!! FYI a dicionary quote ...."an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd. "

That's exactly what I'm looking for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Gnat wrote: »
    Hi all,

Firstly, this IS NOT a job offer. I'm looking for a nerd who lives in the NCW Abbeyfeale area to help me with some computery things. The person I want will know how to break computers, will know Linux inside out, will love playing with the Internet and understand some network stuff. I don't want a know-it all and I do want someone who is willing to learn and have some fun along the way. They must be able to drive, cause I live in the sticks and I need help at my place. As I said, this is not a job but I will cover expenses and a little extra and will need help probably throughout the summer for a couple of afternoons a week. If you're interested leave details and I'll get back to you.

This has to be one of the most weirdest posts I have ever seen:

"will know how to break computers", "have some fun along the way"

???

Okay, Okay, Very, Very sorry....

Perhaps I need to revise the post into a more acceptable language....

I am looking for some assistance with research I am conducting into computer user interaction with the Internet. To that end I would appreciate the help from an individual who is familiar with computer systems architecture and Network topologies. That person must also have a great deal of knowledge of the Linux Operating System and in particular the Suse v.11 kernel. And how it interfaces with TCP/IP protocols. The person I am seeking would probably be a student who spends a great deal of their time sitting at home interfacing with the worlrd through the Internet and has also dismantled and rebuilt computer systems from scratch, (Most of us who have built systems know how often things go wrong and how easy it is to damage components).

The type of person I would like to assist me is someone who is no stranger to the phrase, "I don't know" and is willing to tackle problems outside of their comfort zone.

As I have said, this is not a job offer, I just need some help for a few weeks through the summer. I cannot afford to pay "Computer Consultancy" rates but am willing to cover expenses and a little beside. It is my own opinion that one can actually get some pleasure from learning new things and I would much rather do something because I enjoy it than chasing the buck!

I hope this is in a more acceptable format!

As before, if you're interested leave me some details and I'll get back with a view to meeting up.

Just think about it.... Bill Gates developed Microsoft from his garage.... Watch this space!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Why not apply for an Enterprise Ireland innovation voucher and get a tamed nerd (postgrad or postdoc) in UL or LIT to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

This has to be one of the most weirdest posts I have ever seen:

"will know how to break computers", "have some fun along the way"

???

The sexual innuendo is cur-azy!!! :P

5uspect wrote: »
    Why not apply for an Enterprise Ireland innovation voucher and get a tamed nerd (postgrad or postdoc) in UL or LIT to help you.

Already in the pipeline, but they are not available until the end of September hence the request for assistance through the summer! Also, the more I can do myself, the more I understand. Furthermore, would you really trust anything to EI and how far does 5K go in Uni time!

very strange... too weird a proposal for my likings!

Advertisement