Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping centres in Limerick

Options
  • 30-07-2009 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

well, im just trying to think of all the shopping centres in Limerick for the benifit of people on this looking to go shopping in the city and suburbs, is it me or is this a lot of places for the size of the city? just add to the list if i leave a few out

1. Coonagh shopping centre
    2. Jetland shopping centre
    3. Ennis road retail park
    4. Arthurs Quay shopping centre
    5. Roxbourgh Shopping centre
    6. Childers road retail park
    7. Parkway shopping centre
    8. Parkway retail park
    9. Castletroy shopping centre
    10. Crescent shopping centre
    11. City east retail park
    12. Delta retail park
    13. Eastway retail park

Under construction

Opera centre (biggest outside of dublin)
    parkway valley (biggest in europe apparently?!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

Coonagh Shopping Centre is merely a Tescos that now appears to have no staff, customers are expected to use the self serve tills most of the time.

Jetland has a supermarket, a pharmacy, 2 coffee shops, 7 other shops and a bank

Ennis Road retail park has a Woodies, Petmania and Smyths.

Castletroy Shopping Centre is almost empty.

Parkway Valley is unlikely to ever be completed IMHO.

And these are just the areas that I have limited knowledge of. Things might look good on paper but the reality is somewhat different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Parkway valley the biggest in europe? Really? Where is it planned for? Cause the trafford centre in manchester is very big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

thats what iv heard anyways, dundrum shopping centre is currently the biggest in europe and this is supposed to surpass it, i heard it was getting an ice rink aswell as cinema etc but i really dont know much about its plans as the place it quite empty at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Coonagh is empty,alot of the units in the retail parks are aswell....why would they bother building a new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Biggest in Europe ? Who told you that ?

Have you seen the site? Seriously doubt it would be even bigger than Blanchardstown, Liffey Valley or Dundrum.

I always heard it would be the biggest in Munster anyway.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I would ignore the propaganda that developers say about the shopping centres.

The latest claim in the Limerick Leader by one is that the Opera House centre would be the biggest one in Munster, despite it being smaller than the Crescent Shopping centre according to it's plans.

The proposed plans for the Parkway Valley, before it ground to a halt, were smaller than most of the main shopping centres in Dublin let alone Europe. A look at the website for the project will give you the proposed amount of units and the square footage of the project.

The Coonagh centre is a joke with no tenants now lined up for both the shopping centre or the retail park, woth Tesco being the only company there. I was due to start with a company in that centre before they pulled out due to it not being ready in time and due to no other tenants being officially confirmed.

Arthur's Quay is wasting away with five units now available to let there.

The Castletroy centre is a great example of putting a centre in a location with a big catchment area and not pushing for tenants that would draw in the crowds.

The Parkway shopping centre is low budget in almost every way, and the Roxborough centre is dying and is/was to be knocked as part of the regeneration scheme, as an apartment block is/was planned for that site in 2011/2012 with a new shopping area to go where the top of the Galvone industrial/business park is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Parkway Valley is the biggest abandoned and half built shopping centre in Europe more like. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ennis road retail park and jetland are one in the same!

Trafford centre is absolutely huge so I dont think Dundrum is bigger!

ennis road retail park and jetland are one in the same!
    Trafford centre is absolutely huge so I dont think Dundrum is bigger!

Actually they are not. The Ennis Road retail park is across the road from the Jetland Shopping centre. They are two seperate businesses.

The retail Park is where Woodies, Petmania etc are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just a thought, but would a consolidation of shopping centres into one development on the north side of the city be a good idea? Limerick isn't huge and if I were a planner I'd look to have the Crescent as the main South side centre, regenerate Cruises St into a City Centre shopping district (or even down by Baker St?) and then have a North side centre. Effectively it would create 3 main shopping districts in the city.

In an ideal world and all that. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

cson wrote: »

In an ideal world and all that. :o

Why would a developer be interested in joining into one big development? Less profit would be made which is why all of these were built.

I have a friend whose father in law gave them a wedding gift of €1 milion euro investment into a midlands business park. 5 years later they made their return of €2 million.

So I imagine the more parks you invest in the better it is for your bank balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

D-A-V-E wrote: »
    thats what iv heard anyways, dundrum shopping centre is currently the biggest in europe and this is supposed to surpass it, i heard it was getting an ice rink aswell as cinema etc but i really dont know much about its plans as the place it quite empty at the moment
    Sorry but thats just not correct at all. Dundrum is about the 3rd biggest in Europe and that was when it opened.

Parkway Valley was coined as being the biggest in Munster, thats it. Big all the same for our standards and I hope within the next year construction recommences

Kess73 wrote: »
    Actually they are not. The Ennis Road retail park is across the road from the Jetland Shopping centre. They are two seperate businesses.

The retail Park is where Woodies, Petmania etc are.

They are right beside each other - practically same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

1huge1 wrote: »
    Sorry but thats just not correct at all. Dundrum is about the 3rd biggest in Europe and that was when it opened.

Parkway Valley was coined as being the biggest in Munster, thats it. Big all the same for our standards and I hope within the next year construction recommences

Not likely at all unfortunately, going by what is in todays Limerick Leader.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Developer-behind-major-Limerick-project.5509404.jp
    Wait there is more. Sounds like he is completely fcuked now
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0731/breaking63.htm

The Parkway shopping centre and the Parkway retail park have the width of a road between them too, does that make them practically the same thing?

If the Opera House shopping centre ever gets built, it will be a road width from Arthurs Quay, so I guess they will be the same thing also.

Not really no - That because they are in town and the Parkway and Parkway retail park are a lot further than lets say jetland and Ennis rd retail park. Isnt Ennis Road retail park on the grounds of the old Jetland. The whole complex should be called the Jetland Center.

Not really no - That because they are in town and the Parkway and Parkway retail park are a lot further than lets say jetland and Ennis rd retail park. Isnt Ennis Road retail park on the grounds of the old Jetland. The whole complex should be called the Jetland Center.

No it is not. The Jetland shopping centre is on the grounds of the old Jetland plus the scrub fields that were opposite Ivans.

The Ennis Road retail park is built where the old go kart centre and carpet store used to be, and took in the fields behind those.

Just because seperate businesses are close to each other, it does not mean they should share a name. If that were the case then most of the business parks out the Ballysimon road would be sharing the one name as three have their boundries touching.

There is also a big difference in terms of rates, insurances, centre management fees etc., so to dump the retail parks and shopping centres under the one banner would make a big difference in the overheads of the companies in the retail parks, and as such would more than likely have them either hiring less staff or paying them less.

No point trying to even reason with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BeanieBaby

There's actually quite a busy road between Ennis Road Retail Centre and Jetland.

I would consider them very separate as well. In fact there's about as much space between the Parkway Shopping Centre and the Parkway Retail Park.

To further some of the logic here... We should completely merge Rutland Street, Patrick Street, O'Connell Street, The Crescent and O'Connell Avenue because they all are proximate to one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

No point trying to even reason with you.
    To be fair sparky, kess is correct on this one. The Jetland Shopping Centre and Ennis Road Retail Park are two entirely separate developments. The outdoor car park for the new Jetland is the spot where the old Jetland building used to occupy. The retail park buildings are further down, nearly directly across from the Topaz station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Parkway Valley is the biggest abandoned and half built shopping centre in Europe more like. :pac:

Exactly, the biggist building site in Munster.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Stan the man

No, its not the same. Owner, money, plans, time of building, everything is different. These objects geographically are by themselves, but that's all.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

What's the latest on the M&S situation - does anyone know? Are they actually going to open up in the (possibly/never) Opera center? I'm fed up having to trail down to Cork, with the cost of fuel, getting lost in the traffic and paying OTT parking charges!

If Limerick town center had an M&S I might be tempted to venture in more often. Most other stuff I can get in the out-of-town shopping areas like The Crescent, Childers Road or near TK Maxx, without getting stuck in traffic jams for too long.

The fact the crescent shopping centre debacle about M&S went on so long and they were eventually refused they just moved their site to Clonmel.

Sooooo If you want to go to M&S you can either go to Clonmel, Cork or Galway or even Athlone. All to be fair to each other are around 1 1/2 hours from Limerick.

Cork is the better of the list above.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Berty wrote: »
    The fact the crescent shopping centre debacle about M&S went on so long and they were eventually refused they just moved their site to Clonmel.

Sooooo If you want to go to M&S you can either go to Clonmel, Cork or Galway or even Athlone. All to be fair to each other are around 1 1/2 hours from Limerick.

Not at all what I wanted to hear, but thanks Berty!

Think Kilkenny and/or Killarney are getting one too. Makes a huge difference when a town's planners etc can get their fingers out and actually put something in motion, unlike the crowds we have in Limerick who seem to just like getting their names in the papers and radio blabbing about all the massive and amazing things that are being built in Limerick, and then it does not happen.

Galway, Clonmel etc are great examples of places who started talks with the likes of M&S well after Limerick did, and had areas ready and approved in advance, so they were able to give M&S exact details and an exact timeframe. Our jokers seem to have no concept on how to attract major businesses to Limerick.

Even the old Dunnes Stores site by Sarsfield bridge could have made for a good spot for M&S, had it been renovated and redone, heck it could even have had a multistorey car park built onto the back of it. M&S would have fitted in the old Dunnes sections and would have had room for their grocery and textiles departments there.

But instead we will keep hearing about the Opera house being built and that it is amazing, about William street plus O'Connell street being pedestrianised, about Arthurs Quay being knocked, and how all this will make Limerick a shopping mecca.

Maybe they should start trying to bring businesses to the huge amount of empty shopping units both in the city and in the retail parks around the city before talking about building more retail units.

And the AngloIrish bank link with the Opera house plus the fact that there is over 100 million euro invested/used by that project so far without any concrete planning permission and not so much as a spade in the ground is a bit of an eyeopener. Just keep an eye on most Limerick Leader reports on it, and there is always a small mention of the 100 million euro to date figure.

I dont know about Kilkenny. They have a new shopping centre which already has a supermarket. MacDonagh Junction. Its a very nice place actually with a semi indoor/outdoor piazaa for the coffee shops.

There is an M&S in Killarney already behind Tesco. Its very small rather like Athlone, Galway and Clonmel.

I dont know about Kilkenny. They have a new shopping centre which already has a supermarket. MacDonagh Junction. Its a very nice place actually with a semi indoor/outdoor piazaa for the coffee shops.

There is an M&S in Killarney already behind Tesco. Its very small rather like Athlone, Galway and Clonmel.

The new shopping centre in Kilkenny was already having problems with a number of tenants already gone, it was fast becoming a supermarket surrounded by coffee shops. But at least the officials in that town moved quickly enough when that started to happen and approached M&S, knowing they were about to have room for them and that the M&S name would attract other retailers back.

I know the M&S in Atlone, Clonmel etc are small, but they still got them there, and made what they had unit wise, attractive to M&S, and got them in. The likes of Galway, Cork, Killarney, and Clonmel having at least one M&S store each is bad for Limerick as it reduces the so called catchment area that the Limerick planners and politicians keep claiming that Limerick has for a M&S store.

They have always claimed that a Limerick store would take in huge business from Clare, Kerry, Cork and Tipperary, but now all those counties have options to travel to a M&S store that is either in their own county, or in the case of Clare nearby in the Galway store.

If I lived in Tralee, CastleIsland, Listowel, or even Abbyfeale etc, why would I bother driving to Limerick for a M&S, when I can just go to Killarney. Same with people in Tipp town when they can get to Clonmel and deal with less traffic.

Cork folk are not going to use a Limerick store when there is a much larger Cork store, plus Cork has a much better range of shops than Limerick.

Clare folk if they are in Ennis or beyond may favour a Galway store, so the Limerick line that it has a catchment of about 500,000 shoppers is a bit misleading. Yes technically there is that many shoppers in the areas they mention, but I cannot see the numbers they estimated all ignoring what is closer just to come to a Limerick M&S.

Advertisement