Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI Cover ACL Reconstruction?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi all,Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.
    Imagine if you ruptured your Anterior Cruciate Ligament when playing soccer. You decide at the time that it's not worth having it reconstructed but change your mind 5 years later.

A. Does the length of time since the original injury affect the viability of the procedure?
    B. Would VHI cover the procedure?
    C. Typically, how long is the rehabilitation period? How long till you could play sports again?
    D. If covered, how much would it typcially cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

If it is determined to be a predisposed condition when you took out the policy then the policy is essentially void and they wouldn't pay for it.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Hi all,Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.
    Imagine if you ruptured your Anterior Cruciate Ligament when playing soccer. You decide at the time that it's not worth having it reconstructed but change your mind 5 years later.

A. Does the length of time since the original injury affect the viability of the procedure?
    B. Would VHI cover the procedure?
    C. Typically, how long is the rehabilitation period? How long till you could play sports again?
    D. If covered, how much would it typcially cost?

You'll have to go see an orthopaedic consultant who will have to do some x-rays to se how bad the damage is.

As for cost, phone your VHI.

As for recovery, it will depend on how the surgery goes.

If you can play sports again will depend on th eextent of your now 5 year old injury!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

ChewChew wrote: »
    If you can play sports again will depend on th eextent of your now 5 year old injury!!

Are you saying that it is possible that the length of time since the original injury could affect the chances of a successful reconstruction?

Are you saying that it is possible that the length of time since the original injury could affect the chances of a successful reconstruction?

Absolutely not. I'm saying you need to see an orthopaedic surgeon who can then determine you situation

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

A. the length of time after the initial tear doesnt effect the chances of having a successful operation
    B. Not sure about VHI, ring them up. (there is a 1 year waiting list if you go public)
    C. Rehab depends on a few things
    i) If you built up the muscles (Quads, Hamstring/Calf) in your leg before the operation
    ii)the quality of your surgeon
    iii)if you have a good physio and you complete all of your exercises as specified by your physio
    I tore my hamstring last year, had my operation in July 08 and was back playing 5 a side by mid February (6 months) and 11 aside in March (with my physio's go ahead), admittedly my leg was improving the more work I did on it but by the end of April (8 months) I was very confident on it again. If anything I was fitter than I had been in years as I made an effort to get my leg back to its best
    D. I think if you were to pay for it privately it may cost around 5k

• Advertisement

B. Not sure about VHI, ring them up. (there is a 1 year waiting list if you go public)

Do you mind me asking where exactly this is?

Not too sure, to be honest, this was what I was told when I initially met with my physio last year when he enquired whether I had health insurance or not, fortunately I had health insurance to cover the whole procedure so I didn't bother asking anymore questions about getting it done with the HSE twas private all the way.

Not too sure, to be honest, this was what I was told when I initially met with my physio last year when he enquired whether I had health insurance or not, fortunately I had health insurance to cover the whole procedure so I didn't bother asking anymore questions about getting it done with the HSE twas private all the way.
    Thats cool! no worries! I manage the waiting lists in a public hospital and I know that the waiting list is no where near a year for this surgery!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CapedCrusader

A. the length of time after the initial tear doesnt effect the chances of having a successful operation
    C. Rehab depends on a few things
    i) If you built up the muscles (Quads, Hamstring/Calf) in your leg before the operation
    ii)the quality of your surgeon
    iii)if you have a good physio and you complete all of your exercises as specified by your physio
    I tore my hamstring last year, had my operation in July 08 and was back playing 5 a side by mid February (6 months) and 11 aside in March (with my physio's go ahead), admittedly my leg was improving the more work I did on it but by the end of April (8 months) I was very confident on it again. If anything I was fitter than I had been in years as I made an effort to get my leg back to its best
    D. I think if you were to pay for it privately it may cost around 5k

Thanks for the info man - that's really helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'm going for acl reconstruction tomorrow and i'm having partial meniscus cartilage removed....i've been waiting 4 years to get it done as public patient....if i could have afforded it i would have done it years ago....have been told 6 months recovery before i go back playing sports - volleyball.....can't wait

• Advertisement

cazcop wrote: »
    i'm going for acl reconstruction tomorrow and i'm having partial meniscus cartilage removed....i've been waiting 4 years to get it done as public patient....if i could have afforded it i would have done it years ago....have been told 6 months recovery before i go back playing sports - volleyball.....can't wait

Best of Luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭narwog81

got ACL reconstruction in a private hospital last monday, i wasnt paying the bill but it came to €5325.

recovery will take a minimum of 6 months before any return to sport can be considered however as other posters have mentioned the strength of your quads and hamstrings pre-op will have a bearing on how well your physio progresses.

some people, known as "copers", can work away without a full ACL, however eventually the problem will have to be sorted as the instabilty in the knee cannot be fixed naturally if it is a full tear.

you'd have to get an MRI to have a look at the damage to it and see how the 5 year lay off has affected it, the surgeon can advise you on your next step then.

also a very useful tool pre-op is ISO-kinetic testing. it basically tests the power, strength and endurance of your leg muscles and compares your good leg to your bad leg and gives you a target to work back to post-op.

sorry for the long post but iim not too mobile after the surgery and have nothing better to do than post on boards all day:D

good luck whatever happens OP

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭11amie11

Hey everyone!

I know it's yeeeears from the thread but I've just come across it! I need an acl reconstruction if I want to play soccer again. Im 23 and im devastated! I've just had my meniscus fixed last week and hoping to get the reconstruction done too if my club's insurance will cover it.

Assuming they do, the next thing for me is to decide when to get it done. This is where I'm looking for advice. I can't take any more time off work and my next time off is 2 weeks in april. After that my next time off would be the months of july and August.

I've been told it can be 9 to 12 months before im back playing so obviously id rather have it in april as id then be back sooner than if I have it in July. But is two weeks off enough time to then return to work. I know the nature of work is a factor so I am a montessori teacher. Any advice/persona stories appreciated. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod

Hi there,
    As we can't give any medical advice on boards, the best person to ask about the recovery timeframe would be your
    doctor.
    Best of luck with it :)
    Sauve

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement