Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which 3 series?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a 3 series over the next few weeks and just wondering what are people thoughts on the different models.
    I've about 13k to spend
    so was thinking of either a 318,320, 320d or 325, coupe or saloon doesn't really bother me.
    I think i'll definitely try get a m-sport model as i like the look of the sports suspension and 18" wheels. Leather interior doesn't really bother me either.
    I could probably get a 04 318 or 320 but maybe get a 01-02 325?
    Mileage is going to be pretty low, less than 10000k a year so maybe i shouldnt consider a diesel?
    I realise the tax on the 325 is another 300 a year compared to the others, would it be worth it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

td2008 wrote: »
    would it be worth it?

Yes. Go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

betafrog wrote: »
    I would say my favourite was the A4 :p

Sorry, just see far too many 3 series around these days and find the A4 a much classier alternative. Just my opinion mind.

There are certainly a lot of 3 series about but the A4 is by no means rare either. Every farmer/sales rep/grown up boy racer seem to have a 1.9tdi A4

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭td2008

EPM wrote: »
    Yes. Go for it

Is there much difference between a 02 325i and 04 318/320 in terms of features (apart from engine).
    Is there any faults more likely etc?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Sorry, just see far too many 3 series around these days and find the A4 a much classier alternative. Just my opinion mind.

An A4 is more common in some parts than a 3-series, and still isn't classy.
    Go for the 325 OP.

Was considering an a4 aswell but i'm not keen on the standard looks, i've seen a nice 04 one for 13k with the rs4 bodykit but that might be a bit too scooby! thing with the bmw i think is nothing had to be changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are as many A4s on the road as 3 Series.

OP here are a few nice examples of some 325Ci within your budget:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200930194709409
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194503815
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192735757

I think the Imola Red one is the nicest but I'm not gone on the dark tinted windows, looks low rent to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Which 3 series??

there is only one worth considering IMO

813820_d0792b03ed.jpg

the rest are for jessies and girls :p

bazz26 wrote: »
    There are as many A4s on the road as 3 Series.

OP here are a few nice examples of some 325Ci within your budget:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200930194709409
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200927194503815
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200919192735757

I think the Imola Red one is the nicest but I'm not gone on the dark tinted windows, looks low rent to me.

Thanks, came across that black one in oldcastle before might check it out! Is mileage anything to worry about on these cars anymore? I would plan on keeping it for a good few years so not really worried about the resale value more service problems.

siralfalot wrote: »
    Which 3 series??

there is only one worth considering IMO

813820_d0792b03ed.jpg

the rest are for jessies and girls :p

Would be nice! But paying 1500 or whatever road tax a year would depress me too much, never mind what insurance! I'm 25, with 2 yrs ncb, think its about €1200-1300 on a 325

Is there much difference between a 02 325i and 04 318/320 in terms of features (apart from engine).
    Is there any faults more likely etc?
    Thanks

There was 3 real spec's on the cars - basic, SE or MSport.

The only difference will be the engine as they were all available in the different spec's (bar the 6 cylinders which was SE at a minimum).

Usually, a 325i would have a few options on it compared to say a 318i as it wasn't bought on a budget

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Lovely cars these,

I find myself in the same position as the OP...
    Torn between a 320D, a 320 petrol, or a 325.

Do mostly city driving but every two weeks do a Dublin to Mayo run...
    Any idea what sort of economy I could get from a 320 or a 325 petrol?

Also... I love the new style headlights on the mkii, could the new shape head lights be put on say a 2002 model? :) They make a serious difference to the look of the car imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

in the 3 series range, only piece of advice I will give you is, get the biggest engined one you can afford to buy and run....

BMW, the bigger the engine the better the car...IMHO

robtri wrote: »
    in the 3 series range, only piece of advice I will give you is, get the biggest engined one you can afford to buy and run....

BMW, the bigger the engine the better the car...IMHO

That's what I'm trying to do! :P Would just like to know if it's going to cost a hundred quid a week in fuel!

Heart is saying a 325, head is saying a 320d..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I'm looking to get a 3 series over the next few weeks and just wondering what are people thoughts on the different models.
    I've about 13k to spend

A bit of searching out should get you into a current model (e90) 3 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ak39

Hiya, I had a 330Ci,an absolutely fantastic car, if you can get your hands on one, go for it, agree with another reply that the biggest BMW engine that you can get, go for it, tax is dear but the performance is outta this world !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

AlienGav wrote: »
    Lovely cars these,

I find myself in the same position as the OP...
    Torn between a 320D, a 320 petrol, or a 325.

Do mostly city driving but every two weeks do a Dublin to Mayo run...
    Any idea what sort of economy I could get from a 320 or a 325 petrol?

Also... I love the new style headlights on the mkii, could the new shape head lights be put on say a 2002 model? :) They make a serious difference to the look of the car imo..

So far as I know the surrounding parts are different to accomodate the new shape lights. Not sure how different, but I think on the coupe the bonnet and wings are different, so changing the lamp lenses isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

I really don't think you'll get an E90 for 13k and if you do it'll be a high miler, 316i with hubcaps.

I would go coupe OP and I would get a 325ci if you can. Lovely, lovely smooth engine, nice sound everytime you drive the thing and it's a strong engine I don't think you'll have any problems with a well cared for example.

You defintely will not get a current model coupe on your budget anyway.

On the M3 thing, the tax will be only slightly higher than a 325 and you never know as regards insurance, I'm 27 and the current model M3 is 900 quid a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

That's what I'm trying to do! :P Would just like to know if it's going to cost a hundred quid a week in fuel!

Heart is saying a 325, head is saying a 320d..

Listen to your head!
    I have had 2 320Ds. An e46 and currently an e90.
    Great performance with loads of torque. Rarely need to change down to overtake and a tank of diesel lasts ages. Also resale value is much better with the 320D than a petrol beemer.
    If you can stretch to an e90 get it. Big improvement on the e46 even though the e46 was a great car too.
    Either way, get se spec for reversing sensors, climate control, and multi function steering wheel with cruise control.

Thanks for your imput Track :)

The only thing about the Diesel model is... the sound!
    I've been in a 6 cylinder petrol and thought it was the nicest car I've even been in! What a sound!

The 320d has turbo issues... the petrol models are thirsty...
    Oh sweet jesus, I bet you my life I'll end up getting a mondeo! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Don't bother with a diesel unless you're going to be doing serious miles then.
    There will be plenty of petrol heads who will buy a petrol car when you look to sell it on. We're not a dying breed ..... yet

• Advertisement

Not a fan of the new model at all unless its a coupe and with the msport body, that'd be out of my price range i think!

Was reading a few of the 320d vs 325i debates and a lot of people seem to think the 320d is just as good to drive thanks to the extra torque.
    I'll just have to try both and see which i prefer!

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

Thanks for your imput Track :)

The only thing about the Diesel model is... the sound!
    I've been in a 6 cylinder petrol and thought it was the nicest car I've even been in! What a sound!

Oh sweet jesus, I bet you my life I'll end up getting a mondeo! :eek:

What sound?
    My 320d glides along in near silence:)
    Turbo issues only affect the pre facelift e46 (99-01)
    Best of both worlds get an e46 320d coupe.

What sound?
    My 320d glides along in near silence:)
    Turbo issues only affect the pre facelift e46 (99-01)
    Best of both worlds get an e46 320d coupe.

I thought the turbo issues only affected the newer 150bhp 02-03 engines? Something to do with swirl flaps? Thats why i was looking at 04 diesels

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

my sis-in-law commutes in a '99 323Ci (2.5 petrol)..... averages about 28mpg. Which means it's only 1mpg different from the 318Ci she used to have.

The 318 was awful, weedy, basic, gutless. As befits a more-expensive-when-new, car, the 323Ci came with a bunch of nice stuff- leather, tiptronic, Harman & Kardon system, etc..... Sounds .........actually, it sounds ......silent tbh......

The bigger engined cars are also more reliable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭omega man

OP, defo go for a 6pot. Either an E46 320i, 323i or 325i. A bonus if you can pick up a nice Ci model also. Dont go diesel unless its a 6'er (330D). I used to have an E46 320D and although looked the part the performance/sound is poor. I have an E90 325i and would not go diesel below 330D level. Just love the sound tbh and performance is enough.

Most of the 320 CD M Sport models down south seem to be on average around 15 grand... I'd be considering an 03-05 model...

Any idea if I'd be better off heading up north to save a few pennies?! Or is there any difference in prices now at the moment?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i have owned a 320d 320i and 325 i and it is definately between a 320d and a 325i if you want economical reasonably quick driving then it has to be the 320d its no slouch if you get itc chipped and put a K&N panel filter in it and very economical about 550 - 600 miles depending on your style of driving i love the sound of a straight 6 cylinder petrol engine though i had my 325i chipped aswell and it is a quick car not super quick but if you master the gear changes its great fun but the best mpg you will get is about 32 i was averaging 28-29mpg with ahem'' spirited driving '' :D thats about 400 miles on a tank but as for actual speed on a motorway a 320d and a 325i beside each other both put the boot down at the same time there isnt much between them , i do highly recommend either a 330i or 330d though they are mental :D i had an E90 330i and i was getting 32 mpg and i drove it like a mad thing and the 330d's torque would rip your head off :p but for your choices maybe the 320d would just win purely because of price of road tax and petrol at the moment and definately go sport kit there is no comparisson between the handling of that and the SE model but not so good on bad roads ;)

I thought the turbo issues only affected the newer 150bhp 02-03 engines? Something to do with swirl flaps? Thats why i was looking at 04 diesels

You're correct there. Cars built after september 2003 should be fine as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Id like to chime in here if i can. very similar situation, looking to get a 320d but my budget would only be up to 10k max, which seems to point to the 02-03 mark, would I be mad to pick up one with the noted turbo issues as mentioned above? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

hal9000 wrote: »
    Id like to chime in here if i can. very similar situation, looking to get a 320d but my budget would only be up to 10k max, which seems to point to the 02-03 mark, would I be mad to pick up one with the noted turbo issues as mentioned above? :confused:

see if you can find on that had the turbo replaced or indeed the little plastic swill flaps can be upgraded to a steel set iirc.

also, the main reason the go is a small breather filter not being replaced iirc, so make sure theres documented history that this filter has been replaced at the recommended intervals or earlier if possible.

Advertisement