Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car shuddering when i change gear?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what i'm doing wrong or is this a fault in the car. It tends to happen when i go from 1st to 2nd and to a lesser extent from 2nd to 3rd. Am i coming off the clutch too quickly? Should i come off the clutch completely before i push down on the accelerator again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This is probably happening if the engine revs are too low when you change into the next gear and will be a lot more noticeable in lower gears as you describe.

You can either be moving a little faster before you change up a gear or blip the accelerator to raise the revs before you change up, if you're learning probably better to use the first method.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

If your car has a rev counter, try changing gears when it gets to about 3000 rpm (this might be just displayed as '3' in the car as it sometimes displays RPMx1000 instead of RPM).

Eventually you'll get used to the sound the engine makes at around 3000rpm and you won't even need to look at the rev counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

that happens when you accelerate too much while clutching ime. i used to do it at a paticular nasty bend every single time for weeks as i was so stressed about building up speed again to get up a huge hill that i'd be edging on the accelerator while still clutching and the car would judder and complain

Advertisement