Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine vibrating - coil ?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

Have an A4 Avant 2002 1.8T - engine started vibrating yesterday and engine mgt light came on. Someone said it might be a coil gone ?
    What does this mean - i have it booked in tomor morning need to drive it from castlekncock to Park motors could i damage it if I drove that far ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

A coil is an instrument that provides a current to the sparkplugs that make them spark and so ignite the fuel. It takes the 12V current from the battery and increases it multiple times to increase the voltage going to the spark plug.

If this is faulty your spark plug(s) are not getting an electric current and thus the sparkplugs are not sparking so that particular cylinder is not working giving you a rough running car.

It probably not wise to drive a car much when its like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If it is the coil, it won't do it too much damage driving from Castleknock to Park (I did Drogheda to Ballymount with 2 gone in a 1.8T - wasn't any fun).

If you want to save some cash, get the engine code and go and buy 4 coils from your local motor factors (around €40 each). Removing the old ones and re-fitting new ones is a simple plug out, plug in job and will take around 10 mins.

If one has gone, it's highly likely another 1 or 2 will go as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Poncherello

Cheers for responses

Advertisement