Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dangerous rear lens,

Options
  • 30-07-2009 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Was in a double lane of traffic yesterday approaching a busy roundabout, when I nearly got clipped by (or nearly clipped, thankfully it didn't happen) a red VW Passat, who was changing lanes.

It was one of the rare occasions that the sun was shining brightly directly on the rear lens of the VW, with the brake light on I almost missed seeing the flashing indicator which is in the middle of the brake light.

Do I need to go to Spec savers? or has anyone else noticed it is difficult to see enclosed amber indicator in certain circumstances?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No, I find the indicators on the new Passat to be a PITA as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

+1 they're terrible and very difficult to see at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

The are white with Orange LEDs isn't there a mandatory regulation station the lens cover should be Orange?

No.

Loads of cars have clear indicator lens, the bulbs/LEDs are simply orange.

either the bulb or cover can be coloured. (or both presumably)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've noticed on a few of the newer cars the rear clusters can be very hard to make out the lights in bright sunlight, all most as bad as aftermarket lexus lights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I mentioned them on hear before - terrible set up,another one is the reversing light on the newer ford focus its practically at ground level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

In response to a similar complaint about Passat brake-lights a while ago, I said that the problem was even worse if the driver (I think I used the term moron) braked before indicating - the circle of brake-light LEDs around the indicator make the latter almost invisible. I got lambasted for that comment.

AFAIK you're supposed to indicate before executing a manoeuvre. In my book, if you brake prior to turning it is the first part of the turn manoeuvre, hence you should indicate before braking if you're approaching a junction and turning left or right.

I'm not going to argue about this - if someone disagrees, please check with someone who's done the advanced driver's course/test - I haven't done it.

And yes, the Passat rear-light cluster is unsafe crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Having owned both the current B6 Passat (at the moment) and the previous B5.5, I'd agree that the light cluster on the older model is better.

My B6 is black though which helps a bit - I'd agree the red (especially with brake lights on) can be very hard to make out.

+1 on the stupidity of a ground-level reverse light on Fords too. Though i do miss the symmetry of 2 reverse lights in the current Passat, but that's just me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mone

snowman707 wrote: »

Do I need to go to Spec savers? or has anyone else noticed it is difficult to see enclosed amber indicator in certain circumstances?

As soon as I read the thread title I expected I was going to read about a VW Passat so I'd say say you needn't bother with that trip to SpecSavers....unless you are almost bumping into other things as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

There was another thread on this issue recently. Consensus (afair) was that the design is bad, and dangerous.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

They should reintroduce semaphores. Phased out in the late 50ies they were a lot more visible than whats used today and at least they could be seen if there was a glare on them.

fr8235.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

the passat and avensis can be hard to see when indicating (if used of course)

They should reintroduce semaphores. Phased out in the late 50ies they were a lot more visible than whats used today and at least they could be seen if there was a glare on them.

fr8235.jpg

:rolleyes:

How about the red flag man too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Kaiser2000 wrote: »

- I'd agree the red (especially with brake lights on) can be very hard to make out.

Thanks for all comments,

I was driving a commercial so was looking down at an angle & with the 'watery' sun coupled with brake light & red paint the flashing indicator was unnoticeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

:rolleyes:

How about the red flag man too?

Definitely a great idea with some of the crazy driving that we see around the city. :P

Advertisement