Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mature plants - how to get rid?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

We have a garden that is quite mature - I'd say 7-10 yrs old, but planted with totally unsuitable plants for it's size. As I am not really a gardener (2 babies under 3), I want to replace the existing plants with some that are more useful (herbs) and smaller.
    My first question is is anyone interested in taking mature plants off my hands? (santa lena (?), 2 hollys (medium sized), hypericum, cotoneaster, roses (3 standard and 1 climbing) and some others.
    Second if this is not a runner what is the best way of disposing of these plants? hire a digger and dump them or could the job be done by hand?
    thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

I don't have an answer, but if you find out, I'd love to know, as I'm in a very similar situation - we moved into a house with a garden that was planted with stuff that was probably nice and small about ten years ago, but is totally oversized now (e.g. hydrangeas, a phormium, rose of sharon). I've been meaning to look into getting rid of the worst offenders for a while, but if I could get someone to come and take them for their garden, rather than killing them, I'd be delighted! Freecycle for plants :>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

To be honest, I can't really see anybody going to the trouble of transplanting them as they are fairly cheap and commonplace items, easily propagated.
    I would hire a decent shredder, cut them down, dig them up and dispose of them that way. The resultant shreddings can be left in a corner and will make a good compost in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

lynski wrote: »
    We have a garden that is quite mature - I'd say 7-10 yrs old, but planted with totally unsuitable plants for it's size. As I am not really a gardener (2 babies under 3), I want to replace the existing plants with some that are more useful (herbs) and smaller.
    My first question is is anyone interested in taking mature plants off my hands? (santa lena (?), 2 hollys (medium sized), hypericum, cotoneaster, roses (3 standard and 1 climbing) and some others.
    Second if this is not a runner what is the best way of disposing of these plants? hire a digger and dump them or could the job be done by hand?
    thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Would you not try and save the Hllies, they are slow growers but invaluable trees in a garden? Much of the other plants can be easily remove, cut shoots as near to ground and dig out roots. The root of the cotoneaster might be tricky to remove but not impossible. Santolina/Hypericums as too roses are all quite easily removed.

Doubt if you will get any takers, basic plant material and more hassle than worth to remove and transplant etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ok here goes again, required equipment,
    roundup
    examination gloves (latex)
    an old sock
    put on the glove on your good hand
    then place the sock over the glove
    soak the covered hand in roundup
    pull your closed hand firmly and repeatedly along some of the branches of the trees and plants that allow you to do so
    the ones that do not allow you to cut them down almost to ground level exposing a lot of the substance underneath the bark (skin)
    cross cut the tops of the branches with a sharp instrument
    use an old (or new) paintbrush dipped in roundup to repeatedly stab the exposed wood with the brush
    use undiluted roundup
    BE CAREFUL DO NOT ALLOW THE ROUNDUP TO GET ON YOUR SKIN
    dispose of the materials used carefully and properly

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

Aw, you mean no-one wants my lovely phormium?? :>

I think we're going to have to get some sort of heavy equipment in to get rid of this one, as it doesn't have a trunk that you can cut and it's a total giant. I hate the thing and it takes up about half the garden at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

sushisushi wrote: »
    Aw, you mean no-one wants my lovely phormium?? :>

I think we're going to have to get some sort of heavy equipment in to get rid of this one, as it doesn't have a trunk that you can cut and it's a total giant. I hate the thing and it takes up about half the garden at the moment.
    I wouldn't plant a phormium if I had a ten acre garden and you're right it'll be a tough job to dig it out.
    You could kill it with Roundup but it might take several attempts. Cut it to the ground and dance all over the stems to bruise and damage them, then apply a 50% solution. Keep an eye out for regrowth and treat again.
    It's amazing how many people plant pretty 1ft. shrubs and then are amazed when they grow 10ft. in all directions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

old boy wrote: »
    ok here goes again, required equipment,
    roundup
    examination gloves (latex)
    an old sock
    put on the glove on your good hand
    then place the sock over the glove
    soak the covered hand in roundup
    pull your closed hand firmly and repeatedly along some of the branches of the trees and plants that allow you to do so
    the ones that do not allow you to cut them down almost to ground level exposing a lot of the substance underneath the bark (skin)
    cross cut the tops of the branches with a sharp instrument
    use an old (or new) paintbrush dipped in roundup to repeatedly stab the exposed wood with the brush
    use undiluted roundup
    BE CAREFUL DO NOT ALLOW THE ROUNDUP TO GET ON YOUR SKIN
    dispose of the materials used carefully and properly

:eek:

OB
    I know you're probably trying to help but in all honesty what you are proposing is nothing short of wreckless and potentially dangerous to anyone silly enough to attempt this method of removal.

There are much safer ways to apply Roundup (and no need to use concentrate) effectively. Also there are are other chemical alternatives to RU and more appropriate for the type of work involved here.

SB

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

I've removed almost all of the plants you mentioned myself in the last year or so, the hydrangea just last month. Get a lopping shears, a bushman saw and a mattock (looks like a picaxe with a broad head) and you'll remove any shrub. It's physically intense work though, with the mattock anyway. Alternatively get a recomendation for a local gardener. Any guy worth his salt will clear that lot in under a day and cart off your waste. Typically €300-400 tops for a days worth of that work for 1 guy, with the waste taken away.

It's not a finesse job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

:eek:

OB
    I know you're probably trying to help but in all honesty what you are proposing is nothing short of wreckless and potentially dangerous to anyone silly enough to attempt this method of removal.

There are much safer ways to apply Roundup (and no need to use concentrate) effectively. Also there are are other chemical alternatives to RU and more appropriate for the type of work involved here.

SB
    yes siree, but do not professional gardeners use this method on a regular basis.

Advertisement