Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gti opinions

Options
  • 29-07-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Ive had my 1.6 a3 for 2 years and think im ready for a change..im 23 with 2 years ncb..i want to be in an s3 as soon as possible but realise this may not happen for another couple years..instead ive been thinking about mk4 golf,maybe 02 or 03? budget would be 8g possibly 9..my plan would be to get to 180 version and getting it chipped..

any opinions on this?

my current insurance is under €700, what sort of a jump would i be looking at if i get quoted at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

unbelievable but insurance i think would be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Standard mk4 gti vs standard MK1 S3 no competition any difference in insurance would be lost spending money to make the GTI handle half as good as the S3,S3 all the way for me,its a no brainer.

Just buy the right one,do your homework and go to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

MCMLXXV wrote: »

Lady owner + Nurburgring sticker?

only thing about going to UK is with all costs included id be looking closer to 11g i think, and as much as id nearly give my left nut for it, i know id kill myself financially doing that..

• Advertisement

Nforce wrote: »
    Lady owner + Nurburgring sticker?

Sabine? :D

Sure most cars with Ring stickers have never been in Germany! :D

There is a well cared for S3 for sale on octane.ie at the moment http://octane.ie/ads/car.php?id=4851 on of the finer Irish examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wow, a petrol S3 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

unbelievable but insurance i think would be a problem

Try 123.ie

THey will prob give you a quote and prob not a bad one either.

Quinn said they wouldn't quote me on a GTi yet 123 gave me a quote of around 700 Euros. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Have you tried to get a quote on the S3? I seem to remember hearing something about the insurance rating on the MkIV Gti being classed as a sports car (which it definately is not!). There aren't many S3's about so there wouldn't have been many insurance claims on them (this does affect insurance premiums, try getting a quote on a 3dr civic!) so insurance might be affordable.
    The soft handling and the mediocre performance of the MkIV Gti really disappointed me when I drove one. These are not fast cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

A MKIV Golf GTI is really not something you should all be nervously talking about when it comes to insurance. It's a 1.8 turbo engine with 150 bhp (unless you get the 180)... most modern family saloons have the same power these days.

The S3 is the same 1.8T anyway so depending on who you get a quote from, it may not be much more than a GTI anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

MarkN wrote: »
    A MKIV Golf GTI is really not something you should all be nervously talking about when it comes to insurance. It's a 1.8 turbo engine with 150 bhp (unless you get the 180)... most modern family saloons have the same power these days.

The S3 is the same 1.8T anyway so depending on who you get a quote from, it may not be much more than a GTI anyway.

Except the S3 produces 220ish hp doesn't it?
    tbh if I was going for one it'd have to be the S3..
    Golf...wouldn't do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

The later S3s had 225 brake, same as the MKI TT with the more powerful of the 1.8T engine.

I am aware that they're faster but a lot of Irish companies still judge the risk by engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭omega man

Op forget the MKIV gti imo. Go for a standard A3 1.8T or better still a Leon 1.8T Cupra (180bhp standard) or even the previous Octavia RS model (also 180bhp).

have only ever seen 3 1.8t a3 that i can remember, never seen one for sale, the octavia doesnt interest me but maybe the leon could be an idea..any links?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Not a lot of Cupra's over here im afraid, you would have a far better chance in getting one in the uk, very popular over there. Try the classified section on www.seatcupra.net you can pick up a cupra R 225 bhp for silly money now.

Example

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement