Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 29-07-2009 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,

Im looking into buying a Mondeo and i've found one advertised as a -Ford Mondeo 1.8 I LX Zetec-.

1) Should it be either an LX or a ZETEC, or is there such a thing as an LX ZETEC? I thought they were both different variations of the Mondeo. Going by the pictures is says ZETEC on the back of it.

2) If they are indeed different variations, is there much of a difference between the two?

Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ford like to confuse :p. Afaik it's all to do with the styling detail of the car, with zetecs having the extras like aircon and brushed aluminum finshes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The seller probably hasn't a clue or has no interest in checking. I've seen Mondeos or Focus advertised as Zetecs and the photos clearly show the LX badge on the boot. Another popular one is advertising the car as having air con when it clearly doesn't.

Regarding which one to get, definately go for the Zetec, besides having better specification in most cases the Zetec has better engines. For example the 1.8 litre Zetec has 125bhp whereas the 1.8 litre LX only has 100bhp. Same goes for the diesel engines in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Are ford engines not badged zetec? Therefore you can have a zetec engine with lx trim?

Zetec started out as an engine range (16 valve twin cam units) but later became a trim level. More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Zetec_engine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I always thought that Zetec trim was the replacement for the Si and XR versions. :confused: but having checked that wiki site I was right after all :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bazz26 wrote: »
    The seller probably hasn't a clue or has no interest in checking. I've seen Mondeos or Focus advertised as Zetecs and the photos clearly show the LX badge on the boot. Another popular one is advertising the car as having air con when it clearly doesn't.

Regarding which one to get, definately go for the Zetec, besides having better specification in most cases the Zetec has better engines. For example the 1.8 litre Zetec has 125bhp whereas the 1.8 litre LX only has 100bhp. Same goes for the diesel engines in most cases.

LX Mondeos all have a/c, and 110bhp.

I agree the Zetec model is a better buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ulviking44

Thanks for the info guys and for clearing that up for me.

When i was seeing some mondeo cars with an LX badge and others with a ZETEC badge on them i wanted to be sure before i make any trips to see the cars.

I was reading reviews and it said that when going for a mondeo go for a 1.8 LX for reliability, better fuel comsumption, etc., so i just wanted to be sure that the ZETEC wasn't an inferior version.

Alan

ulviking44 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info guys and for clearing that up for me.

When i was seeing some mondeo cars with an LX badge and others with a ZETEC badge on them i wanted to be sure before i make any trips to see the cars.

I was reading reviews and it said that when going for a mondeo go for a 1.8 LX for reliability, better fuel comsumption, etc., so i just wanted to be sure that the ZETEC wasn't an inferior version.

Alan

The Zetec is superior to the LX model, not sure where you were reading but a car the weight and size of a Mondeo will actually be more fuel efficent with 125bhp as opposed to 110bhp because the engine will have less work to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I had a Mondeo 2litre Zetec. I bought it with the intention of keeping it for a couple of years while the family was young. I bought it 9 months old with 9000miles on the clock and over the next 6 years put another 80,000 on it.

Great car, one of the most practical and comfortable cars I have ever driven.....

I'm getting all nostalgic now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I've a 1.8 LX model have had it since Sept 06'. Been a great no no-nonsense car. Only issue I've had in the 3 years, touch wood, is the electric seat height adjuster went but replaced this one from scrap yard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement