Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question for over thirtys returning to college

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I will be returning to eduacation in about two years ( I'm already saving ).
    I will be 30 / 31. I'm still abit torn on what course I will be taking. As it costs so much money and is a big commitment I am nervous about getting it exactly right. I am in South America teaching english in a very non traditional school and I love it so much. I came here as a volunteer and to try out teaching as I felt I had a natural flair for it and of course a love of kids. I have been here a year, and a few months ago I said I was not in a rush home because of economy etc. and they have offered me a paid teaching job which I am taking. I'm happy and the school is happy. Also was a nice boost to my confidence. Apart from teaching my other love is travel and with that languages. I am in S.A. so I am speaking spanish here out of school hours. I think that I would like to return and train as a teacher but it seems everybody and their dog is doing it and we all know that positions are not available. More of an interest to me than primary teaching is special needs teaching. In fact, I really think that is my area but that is all gone down the drain form what I understand and more jobs will be cut in education of the coming years. My other option would be to study languages even though I am not sure where this might lead me and how I will get employed. I know it would be maybe in 6 years timewhen I would leave with whichever degree but I'm not sure if much will have changed job wise. Who else is scared of getting this choice wrong and why????? Thanks all and best of luck to you.

Advertisement