Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody remember the Guinness Clock?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

All the PR hype about the Guinness 250 celebrations reminded me of, yet another, of my pet hobby horses - the Guinness Clocks which used to tour seaside towns in Ireland and Britain in the 1960s. Anybody remember them? There used to be one on the seafront at Bray every summer in the 1960s - regular as clockwork - sorry couldn't resist! They were based on clock built for Guinness's for the 1951 Festival of Britain and incorporated many of the animals and characters created by Gilroy for the Guinness ad campaigns - the Toucan, sealion etc,etc. Some years ago while I was investigating what became of them and I was stunned to discover that all the clocks had been scrapped years before. I wonder do the plans still exist as surely it would not be beyond Diageo's pocket to pay for a new one to be built? As I remember them they were enormously popular with children and I think there may have been one in St.Stephen's Green at the same time. :)

guinness clock.jpg

img049.jpg

Advertisement