Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What (and how!) to buy: Passat vs. Octavia/Superb vs. A4

Options
  • 29-07-2009 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

So, I'm looking to get something similar to the above. It's the first car I've bought and I'm looking for something around 2004-2006. I've got roughly 10k to spend and I'm not overly concerned about badges :) I'm open to going for a diesel model where applicable and am looking for something about 1.6 or above. A 'nice' interior would be a definite plus, even if it was the likes of half-leather or whatever.

I'm looking to buy from a dealer rather than private so I can avail of a warranty. I may also be trying to incorporate a trade-in of a '98 Clio for a few pennies if possible, so that's another reason to go the dealer route.

I've been looking around at CBG.ie and CarZone.ie for rough guideline prices to give me an idea of what's available. How realistic are these prices, especially when purchasing from a Dealer? Are most open to haggling when it comes to paying in cash?

I have my father and a friend who's savvy in the ways of motors to help me when it comes to test-driving, decision-making, etc. Apart from that, I'm probably down the more naive-side of the spectrum compared to most people on this board, so please by all means give me your suggestions - I'm all ears! :)

Right now, I'm leaning towards a Passat or a higher spec Octavia. A Superb would be ideal, but used ones appear to be few and far between. The A4 was the original idea, but if it's more expensive 'just for the sake of it' then I wouldn't vindicate spending the extra money.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

WetDaddy wrote: »
    and I'm not overly concerned about badges :) I'm open to going for a diesel model

Octavia then

[/thread]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

[thread]

[marquee][blink]And not the Superb? Any reason why not, in an ideal world?[/blink][/marquee]

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

I'd forget about trading in the clio because they will only give you peanuts for it.
    You will get a better deal buying straight and you can sell the clio privately for whatever you can get for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,122 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't even entertain the idea of trading the Clio in against another car. An 11 year old Clio will be worth almost nothing to a dealer and it means you will not be able to negotiate a straight deal discount off the newer car. Try and sell the Clio privately, worst case let it go for half nothing and it will still work out better than trading it in against another car.

As to what to go for, well the best thing to do is test drive all of these cars and see which one you like best and which one you get the best deal on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200847190923140

With regular (every 30,00km) servicing these are good for 240,00km with few issues. One linked to looks nice and is within budget.

If you aren't bothered about badge then Skoda will give you the best value for money. Also have a look at the Seat Leon or Toledo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement