Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthodontic Billing

Options
  • 29-07-2009 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I started orthodontic work about two years ago. I had the braces applied in December (after getting some extractions completed).
    I told the orthodontist (who I would throughly recommend if someone is looking for one in the west) that there was a possibility I would be moving away before the work could be completed. They said that we could see how much we could get done in the time and we could cross the bridge when we get to it. We talked about the possibilities or finishing the treatment early, or referring me to another orthodontist in the area I was moving to.
    I was quoted a figure, lets say EUR5,000 that was broken down as EUR1,000 up front and EUR1,000 every six months for two years.
    As it happened, I did move with work after a year of the treatment, at which point I'd paid the third installment, which brought my total paid to EUR3,000. I had the braces removed since we were both happy with the way the treatment had gone (but it was not completed). Six months after I'd paid the last installment and had the braces removed, I received a bill for next installment. I called the orthodonist to see if it was a mistake with the bill. I explained that since I'd the braces removed and was receiving no more treatment, I presumed I wouldn't have to pay for the last year as quoted.
    Has anyone else had any experiences like this? Do I need to pay the bill or is there a consumer agency that I could talk to in this regard? I haven't signed any contract for treatment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Er..it sounds like you were allowed to pay in installments for your braces. Six grand sounds about normal for braces. Just because you didn't go back for a checkup in the last year doesn't mean you were absolved of the last thousand you owed.

You say you called the orthodonist about the bill - what did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gaffney.ie

He said something similar. I'm happy with the treatment that was completed but it wasn't fully finished. I had assumed that the relationship was on the basis that I kept paying per six months of treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yeah he should have broken it down for you into what each payment was for.
    I had a lot of dental work done a few years ago and paid it off over 6 months, and my dentist made an itemised list of all the work that had to be done.

Advertisement