Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS styled DIV that stretches in width to fit contents

Options
  • 29-07-2009 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a div styled like so:
    div.Wrapper div.MainContents
    {
      margin-left:205px;
      margin-right:5px;
      display:block;
      min-height:500px;
      background-color:White;
    }

Within this div, I have a Grid that is variable in width. At the moment, the Grid extends out past the container but I would like MainContents to stretch to fit this Grid.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks!
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Try this: display: table-cell seems to be the right property.

I have two parent divs below both with a fixed width. But they seem to expand OK if a child div is wider. (FF3 / IE7 / Chrome)

[html]
    <style type="text/css">
    .parentDiv
    {
    border: solid red 2px; display: table-cell; width: 390px;
    }
    </style>

<div class="parentDiv">
    parent
    <div style="border: solid green 2px; width: 410px;">child with wider width</div>
    </div>
    <br/>
    <div class="parentDiv">
    parent1
    <div style="border: solid green 2px; width: 370px;">child without wider width</div>
    </div>
    [/html]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi Eoin,

Many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately it doesn't work though :(

Do you think this could be to do with the the Grid being a table with no specified width?

Thanks,
    John

Sorry! By grid, do you mean an ASP.net gridview that renders as a table or something? I just tried it with a table with loads of cells in one row (no width specified) and it expanded as expected. My CSS isn't great, I'm afraid.

Could it be something to do with the parent of the parent? Can you separate the two elements out to a different page and test it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

eoin wrote: »
    Sorry! By grid, do you mean an ASP.net gridview that renders as a table or something? I just tried it with a table with loads of cells in one row (no width specified) and it expanded as expected. My CSS isn't great, I'm afraid.

Could it be something to do with the parent of the parent? Can you separate the two elements out to a different page and test it?

Yes you were right, it was the container of the container that needed display: table-cell set.

Its working great in FF but not stretching in IE. I understand IE doesn't work with this, is there any hack that to workaround it?

Weird, it seemed to work for me in IE7. Can you post the rendered HTML?

• Advertisement
Advertisement