Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Limerick the wettest county in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-07-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

I remember when we were in National School our teacher telling us Limerick and Kerry were the 2 wettest counties in Ireland. He said Dublin and Wicklow were the driest and Wexford the warmest. Always thought he was talking out his hat. Anyone confirm if its true? Looking at the July we have had, I would well believe it!
    Frank McCourt must be having a wry smile up in heaven :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Galway is just as bad if not worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Galway is just as bad if not worse!

Yep Galway would have been my vote.

Googling the subject brings this result
    The wettest place in Ireland is the area of the Maumturk and Partry mountains of counties Mayo and Galway, which receive annually over 2400 mm of rain.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ireland/geography/extremities.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

No. Sligo is. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

for some mad reason, between 7 and 8 always seems ok tho!!! I go walking everyday out Corbally way at that time, and very very rarely get wet!! Mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Title for wettest place in Ireland goes to Galway and Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Yeah the Galway bay area is absolute cat, definately the wettest area. Statistically Dublin city and environs are the mildest, whether that is to do with urban buildup or not I dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was in Dublin for most of yesterday and it was raining, when I got home yesterday evening it was dry here. Go figure..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

deccurley wrote: »
    Yeah the Galway bay area is absolute cat, definately the wettest area. Statistically Dublin city and environs are the mildest, whether that is to do with urban buildup or not I dunno

Lots of mountains between the West Coast and Dublin which force the clouds to drop their water.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

Met Eireann's stats for 1961 to 1990 seems to indicate Kerry and Galway as being the wettest.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I've noticed this too! Always after dinner, the sky seems to decide to brighten up around 6.30'ish for a few hours. Alas where are the BBQ evenings and sunsets? Even just the odd one occasionally.....ye gods??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

deccurley wrote: »
    Its due to the fact that Dublin has the cover of the Wicklow Mountains. Dublin actually gets less rainfall annually than Paris. 800mm per year I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi Guys

From Limerick but live in Galway, galway wins hands down except for the last 2 months where I think we have had some of the best weather in the country (last 10 days have been sh1te but nice and sunny today)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

why are people still debating when we have proof that its galway and mayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Longest absolute drought Limerick 3rd April to 10th May 1938

Wow!
    why are people still debating when we have proof that its galway and mayo

Because we don't? It's Kerry and Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

The warmest place in Ireland is Kilkenny. It consistently has the highest temperatures every decade. The highest recorded temperature in Ireland was 33.3 degrees at Kilkenny Castle on 26th June 1887. It figures really, its in the sunny south east, but is inland so its not exposed to those cooling see breezes you get along the coast.

Advertisement