Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vostro 1700 Problems

Options
  • 29-07-2009 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭

My Vostro 1700 has developed two problems, neither of which are terminal I think but just a little annoying.

Firstly the wireless switch on the left of the machine has fallen off, luckily in the "On" position, but I'm just wondering if there is a way to enable/disable wireless & bluetooth from within the settings on the machine or is that switch the only method of doing this? Just wondering in case it somehow switches itself off.

Secondly the fan has become pretty noisy, the laptop is still staying pretty cool, never had any problems this way but it is fairly annoying. Compressed air seems to be one solution but do I blow this in from the side of the laptop or directly down towards the fan from the underside? While the fan is on or off?

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

To disable/enable wireless, go into network connections. Right click on connection for the disable/enable options amongst others.

I'd just turn the laptop off and blast the dust out of the fan with air. Try and see does it help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

To disable/enable wireless, go into network connections. Right click on connection for the disable/enable options amongst others.

I'd just turn the laptop off and blast the dust out of the fan with air. Try and see does it help.

This partially makes up for your terrible joke.

Cheers but I can't spot "Enable/disable" in the connections options..I'm hoping they din't put all the eggs in the one basket with that switch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It'll take a lot to make up for that joke haha.

Here is a screenshot I took of mine. The switch will never be the only way. Assuming you are on Vista:

kev-1.jpg

Advertisement