Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO Help

Options
  • 29-07-2009 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Just getting my head around SEO, working mostly on on-page optimisation and not sure how well I've done it. I've made a nicely designed site, but from reading tutorials and so on online, I feel like the design is holding me back from using keywords more on the H1 tags, body text, I originally used them a lot more and the site lost all it's personality. Am I just being too critical? Any advice is appreciated....

http://www.inishrosshouse.com

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nice enough design but having each page content in three small boxes across the page isnt great. It should be more free flowing down the page - this way looks like its got hardly any content. A red website for a red house :)

Online guestbooks are out of fashion and more trouble then they are worth.

You can style your headings so that it fits nicely within the page but makes good use of the heading tags. Looks like good use of alt tags but very little images anyway. Keywords should match the page content but there probably very hard keywords to fight for (in the search engines that use them) considering they are broad terms. Should considering using other terms also - handy to have.

At this stage it might be a good time to start looking for link exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Sully wrote: »
    Nice enough design but having each page content in three small boxes across the page isnt great. It should be more free flowing down the page - this way looks like its got hardly any content. A red website for a red house :)

The main problem with a vertical layout is that there is very little content for the site. All the relevant info given could have been placed in 3 paragraphs, so I finished on the brochure style design.
    Sully wrote: »
    Online guestbooks are out of fashion and more trouble then they are worth.

Yeah, but the client gets what the client wants, lol.

You can style your headings so that it fits nicely within the page but makes good use of the heading tags. Looks like good use of alt tags but very little images anyway. Keywords should match the page content but there probably very hard keywords to fight for (in the search engines that use them) considering they are broad terms. Should considering using other terms also - handy to have.

At this stage it might be a good time to start looking for link exchanges.[/QUOTE]

Ideally, i wanted link excahnges, but I feel like it doesn't fit with the site whatsoever and the client loves the site as is, buit wants a high PR :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Create a small "Links" link at the footer. Have it as a dedicated links page, themed to the site.

Btw you should generate a sitemap.xml and ROR file. Are you using Google Webmaster tools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭HandWS LTD

Don't forget to submit to bing too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

One line of approach is to look at googles result page for your target area.

Bed and breakfast newross - Several of the top ranked sites are directories.

Get listed in those and see if it drives traffic - several of them are free.

Also remember that rather than targeting all the possble phrases go for the main one - Bed and breakfast in newross.

Are you using analytics to see where existing traffic is coming from?

Try and get visitors to review the B&B on tripadvisor its a great source and more and more people check it out - also google give weight to the reviews.

You already have one good review on the site so try and get more!
    there is an option in tripadvisor to set up as the owner and post photos text and video's of the B&B.
    :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement