Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACII and QFA, Insurance Graduates

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I was just wondering how you go about doing your insurance exams.
    What exemption credits do you get and how do you go about retriving these credits. Also what are the fees involved.

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on the situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

http://www.insurance-institute.ie/education/index.html

Click on 'Exemptions' under the Exam Information heading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

thanks for that

If there is anyone that could share there experiences it would be greatly appreciated aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

First of all you should try and get your exemptions sorted out as soon as you can, well within a reasonable period.

Did you do the BA Insurance & European Studies or the BBS Risk Management. Those who do the BA (which is very few these days) get more exemptions than those who do the BBS but you should be able to find out more from the insurance institute.

The reason Im saying to get your exemptions sorted is that they dont last forever. As for the fees for the exemptions; well if you find employment or if you are employed in the industry already your employer should pay them....it's in thei interest that you have these as they're are rules about basic qualifiactions for working in certain areas of the industry....I won't get into them here.

There was an information session held last semester for insurance students in UL and we were advised about some of this, not many turned up but it was very good all the same.

Anyway as for other advice, Im not much use as I've a year left in the BA. I can ask my brother as he has done some of the exams done. My sister lectures for the institute sometimes so I could check with her if there was anything specific that you wanted to know. From what I gather it's not wise to take on too many of the exams together if you are working i.e one or two at most is enough.

Also try this page:
    http://www.insurance-institute.ie/education/contacts.html

Carol Lacey is the Director of Education, so you could pop an email off to her. She did the BA in UL so if you mention that you were in UL you might get a quicker reply :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Peadar87

caesar wrote: »
    First of all you should try and get your exemptions sorted out as soon as you can, well within a reasonable period.

Did you do the BA Insurance & European Studies or the BBS Risk Management. Those who do the BA (which is very few these days) get more exemptions than those who do the BBS but you should be able to find out more from the insurance institute.

The reason Im saying to get your exemptions sorted is that they dont last forever. As for the fees for the exemptions; well if you find employment or if you are employed in the industry already your employer should pay them....it's in thei interest that you have these as they're are rules about basic qualifiactions for working in certain areas of the industry....I won't get into them here.

There was an information session held last semester for insurance students in UL and we were advised about some of this, not many turned up but it was very good all the same.

Anyway as for other advice, Im not much use as I've a year left in the BA. I can ask my brother as he has done some of the exams done. My sister lectures for the institute sometimes so I could check with her if there was anything specific that you wanted to know. From what I gather it's not wise to take on too many of the exams together if you are working i.e one or two at most is enough.

Also try this page:
    http://www.insurance-institute.ie/education/contacts.html

Carol Lacey is the Director of Education, so you could pop an email off to her. She did the BA in UL so if you mention that you were in UL you might get a quicker reply :D

Thanks for the info much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redtag

Anyone know what QFA modules you are exempt from having done the BA in International Insurance and European Studies?

Im looking to do them through the L.I.A

Its not very clear when trying to compare the course syllabus with the L.I.A module content, and the L.I.A are telling me i have to apply with the €50 application fee per module, and only then will they check further. The fee is non refundable so i would prefer to know beforehand if anyone happens to know.

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement