Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain - HANDS ON

Options
  • 29-07-2009 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Lucky enough to get a presentation and some hands on time with Heavy Rain last week - in Dublin no less!

Loved Quantic Dreams last game Fahrenheit and have been looking forward to Heavy Rain since I caught The Casting video over 3 years ago (despite the fact that I still can't afford a PS3!)

You can read what I thought over here and any questions, just ask!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Heavy Rain looks promising. Cool preview. I loved Fahrenheit too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

whats the betting this will be released very closely to the 360 exclusive Alan Wake.

Honestly, like the previews of inFamous and [prototype], Alan Wake and Chubby Heavy Rain look very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

L31mr0d wrote: »
    whats the betting this will be released very closely to the 360 exclusive Alan Wake.

Honestly, like the previews of inFamous and [prototype], Alan Wake and Chubby Heavy Rain look very similar.

Deserving of thanks for the Bowfinger reference ;)

I'm more interested in Alan Wake tbh, but I said quite recently in a thread here that Heavy Rain is probably going to be the game that convinces me to buy a PS3.

I think both games have the potential to be amazing... Sadly, they both have the potential to be decidedly mediocre also :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Lucky enough to get a presentation and some hands on time with Heavy Rain last week - in Dublin no less!

Loved Quantic Dreams last game Fahrenheit and have been looking forward to Heavy Rain since I caught The Casting video over 3 years ago (despite the fact that I still can't afford a PS3!)

You can read what I thought over here and any questions, just ask!

I was also there for shoryuken on a double roll as the photographer (no way you could have missed me then!).

The game plays well though & will be a hit with fahrenheit fans for sure. I don't think the problem will be Alan Wake though, it'll be a risk of being washed out by more standard fanfare for AAA FPS type games. This could get muddled and pitched aside as "adult gamer" fodder that scares people away.

It will do well, but the risk is it doesn't do as well as it deserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Heavy Rain looks promising, am a very wary of Alan Wake though.

At this stage its looking the 'The Duke Nukem Forever,) of the console world now that Remedy have shelved the PC version. None of this is promising.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

A friend of mine was at the Heavy Rain event too and said it really impressed him in a few respects (the rest he'll wait to play the finished thing to confirm).

Looks damn interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

A-Trak wrote: »
    At this stage its looking the 'The Duke Nukem Forever,) of the console world now that Remedy have shelved the PC version. None of this is promising.

Remedy make all their games like this and they have yet to disappoint me. It'll be done when its done.

Quantic Dreams on the other hand completely and utterly disappointed me with Fahrenheit. The demo gave it so much promise as a good mystery game with a compelling story but that just turned into a bollocks supernatural story with too many annoying quick time events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Remedy make all their games like this and they have yet to disappoint me. It'll be done when its done.

I hope so, but Max Payne 2 was there last major release, back in 2003. They then started work on Alan Wake, thats almost 7 years in development with no other major releases either.

That and the split from Rockstar North after Max Payne 2 (both sides claiming different reasons at the time,) do not good omens make.

That said, the game and premise its self look great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,863 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Max payne was 7 years in development iirc. They managed to deliver. I remember seeing previews of it along side Quake 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

L31mr0d wrote: »

alan wake really looks nothing like heavy rain tbh

completely different type of game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Helix wrote: »
    alan wake really looks nothing like heavy rain tbh

completely different type of game

Yes I see what you mean, one is a story driven psychological thriller whereas the other is a... wait... which one was I talking about again :confused:

I'm not comparing genres here I'm comparing context and they are both very similar in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well even in context, they're nothing alike.

One's a horror based 3rd person perspective action adventure game based in a rural mountain comunity. The other is 3rd person perspective adventure thriller based in a city. Other than being in the 3rd person perspective (albeit in different forms) they are very different in almost every other way.

I can see why people would assume to two would be similar though. They do both give off an uneasy feeling from the footage I've seen, that seems to be lacking in a lot of games these days. But who cares if they come out at the same time? I'm going to be buying them both anyway :D

Advertisement