Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

points expected to go down/up???

Options
  • 29-07-2009 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

hello everyone does anyone know what courses points are expected to go up or down??? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

All courses are going up by 60 points this year. Except for Primary Teaching in Froebel which is going down by 25 points.
    A friend of a friend told me this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

All courses are going up by 60 points this year. Except for Primary Teaching in Froebel which is going down by 25 points.

what?! Ur joking.....riiight?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Hellsing

lol, don't scare me :eek:

I can only take seamus's word for it. But yes, as far as I know its correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

• Advertisement

Inserción desactivida por solicitud?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Time for me to book the Institute so I can repeat...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Almost every course will go down this because everyone applied for medicine! :pac:

phasers wrote: »
    Almost every course will go down this because everyone applied for medicine! :pac:

Everyone? even me?

I wish someone told me!

OneArt wrote: »
    Everyone? even me?

I wish someone told me!
    You were probably drunk at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

points will go up, points will go down!

phasers wrote: »
    You were probably drunk at the time

Then Buddha have mercy on my patients if I ever become surgeon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cf4

the points system is completely dependant on the results each applicant for that particular course gets,

if 50 people apply for a course,

and theres twenty place

the top twenty will get in and the points benchmark is set at whatever the lowest score out of the twenty was

it cannot be pre determined

there are some special courses which require certain subjects or interviews beforehand

a good carrier guidance teacher should set you on the right path

cf4 wrote: »
    the points system is completely dependant on the results each applicant for that particular course gets,

if 50 people apply for a course,

and theres twenty place

the top twenty will get in and the points benchmark is set at whatever the lowest score out of the twenty was

it cannot be pre determined

there are some special courses which require certain subjects or interviews beforehand

a good carrier guidance teacher should set you on the right path

Haha good career guidance teacher... I've never come across one of those. The last one we had would make appointments with us for the afternoon and then go home at lunch.

She kept trying to force me to go to Limerick as well. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cf4

there few and far between

if travelling means getting the qualification you need to get your desired job its well worth it

also, you can cause absolute chaos when your not living at home lol

cf4 wrote: »
    there few and far between

if travelling means getting the qualification you need to get your desired job its well worth it

also, you can cause absolute chaos when your not living at home lol

I will be traveling, I'm doing languages!

I just don't like Limerick or UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

OneArt wrote: »
    Haha good career guidance teacher... I've never come across one of those. The last one we had would make appointments with us for the afternoon and then go home at lunch.

She kept trying to force me to go to Limerick as well. :(

Good questions tho. Does any1 on here have a good career guidance teacher?...they seem to be universally shockin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

That is not true.
    Nobody knows CAO points until they are released.
    Stop trying to cause panic by trying to sound authoritative about something which nobody can actually know.
    For your information, I think it's consensus that Law will drop, Arts will stay the same, Architecture will drop, Eng will drop. But as I said, all of this is speculation.

ALincoln wrote: »
    That is not true.
    Stop trying to cause panic by trying to sound authoritative about something which nobody can actually know.
    For your information, I think it's consensus that Law will drop, Arts will stay the same, Architecture will drop, Eng will drop. But as I said, all of this is speculation.

I take it your sarcasmometer isn't working?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I have sneaking suspicion that engineering etc will go up. Everyone is thinking that it will go down therefore more people are applying for it, therefore going back up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Pharmacy points are going to drop like a stone!:pac:

Good questions tho. Does any1 on here have a good career guidance teacher?...they seem to be universally shockin!
    There was one great one in my school, really went out of her way to help everyone.

She'd hold meetings, go on the intercom, brought in TONS of speakers from colleges/ careers etc., chase you down if she hasn't spoken to you, was in regular contact with all the universities, ITs and local PLC colleges...

And she always stopped on the corridor to see if you were having a good day. If you seemed sad or stressed she got you out of class and brought you to her office for a cup of tea and a chat.

She was American too , so listening to her speak was entertaining.

she arrives early on results day to try and calm nervous students too apparently :pac:

... I think I may be having a word, I'm getting pretty worried.

ALincoln wrote: »
    That is not true.

Dont let this guy on the internet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

creggy wrote: »
    I have sneaking suspicion that engineering etc will go up. Everyone is thinking that it will go down therefore more people are applying for it, therefore going back up!

Given that the overall applications for engineering has fallen, points will probably only show a very slight change.

http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2009.pdf

These stats don't take the change of mind into account, but I doubt there would be much change seen in the change of mind compared to this

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

JSK 252 wrote: »

wishful thinking ain't gonna get you far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

JSK 252 wrote: »

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As others have said unless something official has been said the rest is all speculation, people can only guess which direction points will go. Even then it's not very helpful, noone knows their points yet anyway so why worry before anything concrete is out?

Advertisement