Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White ink tattoo

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Just wondering if its common for a place to do a simple white ink tattoo? I've always wanted one, like since I was 16. It would probably be just the word 'Desiderata'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭phic

uh oh peoples on this forum don't like white ink tattoos....just wait.

In answer to your question its not very common from what I gather, but a good few places do them, one artist I know of who does is Debbie in Connected Ink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭milktwosugars

Thanks for your help and the warning.

Tbh I don't care if people don't like white ink, I'm getting it for myself...not for anyone else. I like it, that's it like.
    I do get why people don't like it but I've had a picture in my head for the past 2 years. It's the tittle of a poem that I try and live my life by so it's pretty important and I think white ink suits its message. Desiderata. So white it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Why don't people like white tattoos?

Whats the story with them anyway, do they only show when you have a tan?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Just wondering if its common for a place to do a simple white ink tattoo? I've always wanted one, like since I was 16. It would probably be just the word 'Desiderata'.

Why would you like to know if it's common place or not?

I have a friend that has a few white ink tattoos on her hands. You can't see them unless she points them out to you, otherwise you may think that they are a very slight scar if you catch a glimpse of it.

I haven't seen anyone with a white tattoo
    How helpful :rolleyes: :P Just cos you haven't seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

A friend of mine has one, I don't like it, not because it's white ink, just because it's a stupid tattoo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

phic wrote: »
    uh oh peoples on this forum don't like white ink tattoos....just wait.

Nonsense, there are folks here (or at least that used to be here, seems to have disappeared now) that had white ink tattoos that I saw in person, they were quite cool.

I don't remember anyone ever badmouthing white ink tattoos?

Nonsense, there are folks here (or at least that used to be here, seems to have disappeared now) that had white ink tattoos that I saw in person, they were quite cool.

I don't remember anyone ever badmouthing white ink tattoos?

Didn't mean that sort of don't like, can't think of a better way to phrase it though! My very first post on boards was asking about white ink tattoos and you warned me off them because they don't age well, show up on some skin types etc.
    trying to link to that but i can't!
    sorry was late, it all seemed very clear to me what I meant!

Thanks for your help and the warning.

Tbh I don't care if people don't like white ink, I'm getting it for myself...not for anyone else. I like it, that's it like.
    I do get why people don't like it but I've had a picture in my head for the past 2 years. It's the tittle of a poem that I try and live my life by so it's pretty important and I think white ink suits its message. Desiderata. So white it is...

Sorry made that sound a lot more ominous than I meant to! Don't expect a torrent of abuse or anything, just some people warning you they don't always turn out nicely!(which I'm sure you know already)
    Don't know the poem but sounds like a cool tattoo, any ideas on placement yet?

phic wrote: »
    Didn't mean that sort of don't like, can't think of a better way to phrase it though! My very first post on boards was asking about white ink tattoos and you warned me off them because they don't age well, show up on some skin types etc.
    trying to link to that but i can't!
    sorry was late, it all seemed very clear to me what I meant!

Ah right, gotcha now! It's true that they can become discoloured, as the white does have a tendancy to hold on to some of the pigment of the blood from when it's being done, and if it doesn't, it can discolour over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I was just googling White tattoos and alot pictures look shoite but words look great.

But I found this which I was very inpressed with

2hckqk5.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

linky

I have a White flame on my right forearm thats about 3 years old now and starting to fade so getting it topped up end of next friday and a mirror of it being done on my left forearm on the same day. yes they do discolour a little and yes they show up nicer when you have a tan but i dont for a second regret it :) hell i encourage people to do it if they want to. just be warned, large bodies of white ink dont show as well. hench why thin designs work better. i got mine done in stigmata tau in swords and going back there for top up and the second one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

The above pic looks more like some nice scarification than a tattoo to me (i'm not doubting it is a tattoo however). I dont think they're commonplace.

I said, common for a place. Not is it common place. I wanted to know whether I'd find much difficulty in getting an artist to do it for me.

In terms of the discolouration I get that, but I'm a sallow skinned kind of person. I'm just kind of light brown all the time, so that wouldn't be a huge issue.

I'm hoping on getting it somewhere I can see it, any ideas?? Obviously there's the wrist, but it feels more personal than that. I'd like to keep it kind of guarded.

to be honest, a white tattoo isnt that noticeable, a good example is my forearm, i wear short sleeves in work, have done for 3 years,the girl who sat next to me for the last 18months only asked me last week if i had any tattoos... she had never spotted my arm, and i had never made a point of hiding it. the forearm tends to disguise itself in shadow most of the time so i find its quite personal but still there where i can see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

ive always liked tattoos done on the under side of the arm near the arm pit, if that makes sense, im sure theres a name for it! they can only be seen if you show someone or stretch or something! everyone ive said it to hates it and thinks its a stupid place but im getting one done there!

Thanks a million for your help splinter, heading into the shop tomorrow for a draw up....really excited. I'm torn between Desiderata and Go placidly, the later being the first two words of the poem...
    Once that's down, I'm away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Teeth

I have a white ink tattoo on my wrist that i`ve had for the past two years and it hadnt faded.its a bracelet. i`m pale enough but my forearms are kinda tanned.ive got other smaller touches of whitework too around other tattoos i have and plan to get more.

when i first got it, it took a few weeks for the redness to seep out of it. i dont mean it was bloody but it was a pink colour for the first 3-4 weeks, maybe longer. as its not black ink, obviously its gonna take longer to settle...if you get what i mean.

its not noticable unless you know its there, or i point it out, when i`m warm it shows up easier and it just looks like a scar.

the only thing i`ll say is to keep it looking white, try to keep the sun off it. i went on holidays for 2 weeks last year to a sunny hot place and my wrist went tea coloured as i was out in the sun.not an alarming amount and it faded but i`m just sayin, invest in factor 900.

i love whitework. i have a fair bit of coverage from regular black inkwork tattoos and i`m planning on getting more whitework.

~me~ wrote: »
    ive always liked tattoos done on the under side of the arm near the arm pit, if that makes sense, im sure theres a name for it! they can only be seen if you show someone or stretch or something! everyone ive said it to hates it and thinks its a stupid place but im getting one done there!

Actually, I think that could be kind of cool and unique. Better than on lower back any day but that's only my opinion of course. It's discreet too which is what I want. I've started drawing it on myself and I think I'll stick with that for awhile and just wear it about, see in what situations it could be annoying, not annoying. Whatever.Thanks a mill for your suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

no bother, glad someone else in this world likes the idea! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭masherella88

desiderata is rocking...thumbs up on the tattoo choice :)

it's a great idea and i think the white ink is cool, never seen it before! i think it looks great :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

The above picture looks pretty cool. Might consider getting one myself. :)

desiderata is rocking...thumbs up on the tattoo choice :)

it's a great idea and i think the white ink is cool, never seen it before! i think it looks great :)

Thanks very much, wanted it for ages...:) Just getting really excited about it now. I'm still not sure if I want to have "Desiderata" or "Go placidly...". I know I'll end up ultimately deciding myself...that's just my final hurdle.

Thanks to everyone here, getting a tattoo can be tough ol' work. Deciding placement, etc. so it was real nice to have people to chat about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Crakker

So, did anyone who said they have a white tattoo get them done in Ireland? Its been a desire of mine for years, but when ever i hear about an artist who does them, the artist seems to have moved away!

Heres hope-ing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Is this just a whole tattoo using white ink as opposed to just using white for highlights?

I always have white in my tattoos for highlights... its not some special white ink is it?

Im confused as to why this seems like a big deal

It's really not a big deal, it's just a whole tattoo done in white ink. Doing them is harder though, as it's harder for the artist to see as they work.

Crakker I think most people here who got them done got them in Ireland.

mine were done in dublin (swords to be exact), its UV that is a problem here (and most places tbh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Crakker

Full white tattoo.
    Not sure about the ink, but when its full white, as opposed to highligts, its harder for an artist as it becomes difficult to discern where you have injected ink into the skin in sufficant quantity.
    In short, its hard to see.

So it requires practice, which most artists whouldnt bother doing with full white in the first place, or so it seems.

if you mean like a white thick body tattoo then no, most places wont do it as it looks bad if it doesnt stick right. idealy white is better for outlines etc

Advertisement