Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advanced Wordpress

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

In a bit if a rut with a site i am currently putting together in Wordpress.
    Using version 2.7 as 2.8+ is still full of bugs.
    Anyway, i am using the Categories for navigation in a horizontal bar across the top of the site.
    I need to display the category description in a hoverbox when the user 'hovers' over the category.
    I know how to create a hoverbox for text or pictures on a static page but as the Category navigation code is being genterated by Wordpress, i dont know how i would go about creating a hoverbox for each individual category.

Or even doesn anyone know if there is a plugin out there that will do this?
    I know that one is a long shot but worth a try.

I know that some templates provide a hoverbox for the category description but the template i'm using (WooThemes NewsPress) doesnt.
    I have tried looking within templates that do provide the hoverbox feature for the code that generates this but as of yet, i have had no luck.

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

by hover box do you just mean, like a tool tip?

post code bit where categories are specified, would be in your header/top nav part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

All you really need to do is add <?php echo category_description( $category ); ?> to the title attribute of each link. So like this:
    <a href="whatever-the-link-is" class="whatever-the-class-is" title="<?php echo category_description( $category ); ?>" >Category </a>

$category should be the ID of the category you wish to get the description of.

Eg. <?php echo category_description('2'); ?> if you wanted to display the description of category 2. You can get the category IDs by hovering over the names of the categorys in wordpress's backend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Hi Tarzan_man,

Thanks for the info. I understand the logic of what you are describing and i can follow it, however my <a href> links are generated by Wordpress by using php to get a list of Categories.
    I cant see how to fit in your code with this code. Here is the code generating the <a href's

<div di="catnav">
    <ul class="nav2">
    <?php wp_list_categories('title_li=') ?>
    </ul>
    </div>

Any idea where to go from that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

I think what you need to do is use the get_all_category_ids function, which returns an array of ids.

Then iterate through the array passing down the current id as a parameter to functions such as get_cat_name( $cat_id ) to get the name, get_category_link( $category_id ) to get the link etc. Then use this information to construct the html links.

EDIT: got bored so thought I might as well do up the code. This is from the top of my head, so there might be mistakes in it.
    <div di="catnav">
    <ul class="nav2">
    <?php 
    $ids = get_all_category_ids();

for($i = 0; $i < sizeof($ids); $i++)
    {
        $link = get_category_link($ids[i]);
        $name = get_cat_name($ids[i]);
        $desc= category_description($ids[i]);

echo "<li><a href=$link class='whatever-the-class-is' title='$desc' >$name  </a></li>";
    }

?>
    </ul>
    </div>

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Thanks PTS & Tarzan_man

With a bit of tweaking i was able to get this working.
    Did the job great!

I owe ya one! :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement