Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBOOD: Sony 40" Full HD TV €599 plus delivery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not a bad price at all but the main turn off is the lack of a mpeg4 DTT tuner!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Not a bad price ,if only I didnt have a 50 inch tv id be tempted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

It's 499 on their UK site which works out about 570 plus if you use http://www.quidco.com/ibood-com/ you'll get 6% back through your paypal....about 30 quid sterling (I have no connection to quidco other than I use them myself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

tats not pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Its €950 in Currys and €1150 in Hardley Normal when I was looking at it over the weekend.
    No wonder they aint doing much business :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

"USB 2.0 link for MP3 and Video Playback"

Does this mean you can hook up a HDD with movies and videos on it and it will play them back??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

madmoe wrote: »
    "USB 2.0 link for MP3 and Video Playback"

Does this mean you can hook up a HDD with movies and videos on it and it will play them back??

I have a v5500 and it says that but will only play mpeg. Perhaps this model is different but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd sooner have a telly that doesn't need a box to watch terrestrial TV in a few years. We don't really need or want sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Not a bad price at all but the main turn off is the lack of a mpeg4 DTT tuner!

I'm about to order this TV but what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of MPEG4 tuner, it'll be years before full digital is rolled out in this country and even then it'll require a small, unobtrusive and cheap box which will act as the tuner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,863 ✭✭✭Soarer

RasTa wrote: »
    I'm about to order this TV but what does this mean?

In the future, RTE etc. will be broadcast in glorious digital. This tv doesn't have the required digital tuner built in to receive the Irish digital channels.

Not a big deal if you use Sky/NTL. Plus, by the time the analogue is switched off, it'll nearly be time for a new telly!

Just order it! ;)

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about the lack of MPEG4 tuner, it'll be years before full digital is rolled out in this country and even then it'll require a small, unobtrusive and cheap box which will act as the tuner.
    Three years to six years (maximum as defined by international treaty) is a long time away, but I hate having to have another separate remote, another scart socket taken up, another device consuming 15-30 watts because it needs its own power supply etc, another thing to put beside or under the telly along with consoles, DVD players, FTA satellite box etc. DTT in Ireland, unlike the UK, will offer big improvements on analogue quality (stronger transmitters and better quality picture), so many people want it now.

There's a reason why iDTVs are a selling point in the UK for the last 4 or 5 years. And I'd hate not to be able to put a flat screen on the wall because of some crappy but necessary tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Three years to six years (maximum as defined by international treaty) is a long time away, but I hate having to have another separate remote, another scart socket taken up, another device consuming 15-30 watts because it needs its own power supply etc, another thing to put beside or under the telly along with consoles, DVD players, FTA satellite box etc. DTT in Ireland, unlike the UK, will offer big improvements on analogue quality (stronger transmitters and better quality picture), so many people want it now.

There's a reason why iDTVs are a selling point in the UK for the last 4 or 5 years. And I'd hate not to be able to put a flat screen on the wall because of some crappy but necessary tuner.

They are all good points, but the problem we have is that virtually any bargain prices come from uk stockists and they've no need for mpeg4 tuners.
    Will the treaty be respected given current economic conditions (and they're not particularly likely to improve in the medium term).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

Was a good offer - just sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

So basically does the mpeg thing or whatever just mean you couldn't plug the tv into the wall with an ariel on the roof or stick a coathanger in the back and get fuzzy RTE?

It means that, in about 5 years time. You'd need a box connected to the aerial to show the picture on the TV. Some of those tellys can also accept a card that (quite legally if you have a TV licence) decode the mpeg used in the Irish standard to one a UK-intended telly can deal with. The terrestrial forum (Tech>Cable & Digital TV> Terrestrial) has the low down on that.

Advertisement