Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

reclaimed teak or mahogany for kitchen worktop

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I want to use some reclaimed hardwood for a kitchen worktop. I know where can get some old teak worktops or some worktop sized pieces of mahogany. Which wood will make a better worktop?

How much should I expect to pay for old teak worktops which have (unwanted) sink holes and other openings cut into them. I've been quoted a price per foot which I think is a little steep?

Finally, what would be the best finish for a low maintenance hard-working hardwood worktop?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi Kejxyz,Sorry I've only now seen your post.I hope it's not too late.DON'T DO IT!! Wooden worktops arethe latest fashion.I have 25 years as a cabinetmaker and seen them come and go before.Simply put wood and water are not good partners.Yes it can be done and was done long ago,but the appearence was not a big factor in downstairs kithens.Treat the wood with several coats of a water repelent such as Danish oil, or other.When I say several, the more the better maybe 10.It needs to be replenished frequently where water is used, around the sink etc.A lot of work,a lot of hassle.That is why people asked me to refit new ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kejxyz

Thanks for the advice Craftsman. Is it not possible to seal the wood with a good varnish? Can I not treat the wood as if it was a teak boat. Boats must surely be resistant to water damage??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭D.Craftsman

Hi Kejxyz,Yes it can , of course be done.The old reliable for water sealing in boats is called Yacht Varnish.There are many different makers.The only thing to be careful of is that it is quite shiny.I have not seen a low sheen.This has the disadvantage that a higher sheen will show scratches more, although it is hard wearing.Remember though boats get a lot of revarnishing in the off season.For more info you could try a call to a polish supplier in Dublin ,F.T Morrell.They have agency fro some products and should be able to advise.I always recommend people to ask friends who have,say a wooden work top,if they are as happy with it a year after they fit it.
    Regards.

Advertisement