Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dart not stopping!

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I was waiting for a Dart at Harmonstown station today at around 4.15. It said there would be one in 5 minutes and then out of nowhere one pulled up, full of passengers. It sort of stopped for a brief second, but before anyone (on board or at the station) had time to press the door button it started going again! The people on board looked so confused because some had clearly been trying to get off! Everyone at the station was very annoyed. I was late for work as a result. It was definatley a Dart and not a non stop commuter train. It was so weird! Was anyone on this train or does anyone know why this might have happened??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This happens sometimes during the day and evening when the DARTs get bunched together, they run non stop from Howth Junction to Connolly vise versa. These are sometimes last minute decisions but the driver announces this. If the train stopped it could have been a signal check for spacing requirements. But there is always a regular DART service directly behind it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I wish they would the same out this end, I love express trains. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

This happens sometimes during the day and evening when the DARTs get bunched together, they run non stop from Howth Junction to Connolly vise versa. These are sometimes last minute decisions but the driver announces this. If the train stopped it could have been a signal check for spacing requirements. But there is always a regular DART service directly behind it.

I've seen that happen a few times at connolly alright. You could forgive people for not knowing i suppose because the platform displays still say 'serving all stations to wherever'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

This was probably an express dart and as you said the sign said 5 minutes which was for a following dart and the reason the train stopped was probably because the driver had a red signal at the end of the platform which then upgraded so he could proceed. This would be a regular enough occurance

Are these trains timetabled not to stop between connolly and Howth Jct or is it just a play it by ear situation.

• Advertisement

fh041205 wrote: »
    Are these trains timetabled not to stop between connolly and Howth Jct or is it just a play it by ear situation.

Its like I said above, they just do it when the train get bunched together and they try to space them out, the amount of time I have seen two south bound DARTs in Howth Junction at the same time on platforms 1 and 3 is mad. It happens when they get delayed and one catches up to the other and central control think up a plan to get the train back on time and remove a back log.

Aye I saw that Captain C but kingshankly appeared to disagree so was just wondering. Thanks.

I thought he was more or less confirming what I posted in the 2nd post but articulated in a better format.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭kingshankly

fh041205 wrote: »
    Aye I saw that Captain C but kingshankly appeared to disagree so was just wondering. Thanks.

As far as I know these trains are scheduled to be non stoppers and it is just at peak times. Couldn't imagine it to happen out of the blue as this would lead to too much confusion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I've gotten an express dart from HJ/Donaghmede to Connolly a few times. Love it. It's like the olden days when Darts got a good run from Killester to Connolly before Clontarf station.

• Advertisement
Advertisement