Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just realised I hate the course I am going into

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hey LCers!
    I;m wondering if anybody is in the same boat as myself. Basically all through the year I wanted to do one course but looks like I will not get the points so I'll most likely get my 3rd or 4th choice.

The thing is I would prefer my 4th choice over my 3rd!

My 3rd is Russian and Philosophy
    4th is Russian and Classical Civilization

I didnt look into Philosophy that much and was watching some Phil lectures on academicearth.com and could barely last through half an hour!

Im freaking out that I'm going to go in and HATE my course.

But CAO change of mind is obviously closed now..

What can I do??

Do I just have to take what Im given a suffer through a course I don't like for 4 years?!

Someone help...:eek:

p.s- Is it possible to change courses ? Do you have to meet the points of the course u want to change to? yeah i suppose that makes sense...oh sh!t

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You can smetimes swap courses within your college. Obviously you won't have to suffer 4 years, if you really hate it just reapply to the CAO next year. Don't drop out in the first week though, there's no jobs so you may as well give it a few weeks and you'll probably end up loving it.

You cannot change course choices through the CAO at this point under any circumstances, IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rej

sdonn wrote: »
    You can sometimes swap courses within your college.

Yeah it just depends on the college to be honest.. If the two courses fall under the same dept or faculty its fairly straightforward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Ha I've Philosophy wit Russian as No.1... Dunno if I get it... I know wat u mean tho I av Russian wit Bus. as No.3 and Russian wit Religion and Theology as No. 4 (as u can see I'm dyin to do Russian!) and I'd prefer No. 4 wud luv to change it.

I really desperate to avoid doin buus as I really don't want to do it! So if I don't get pts forNos. 1 and 2 I hope I did "bad" enuf for No. 4!!!! Really wish I cud change it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Ha I've Philosophy wit Russian as No.1... Dunno if I get it... I know wat u mean tho I av Russian wit Bus. as No.3 and Russian wit Religion and Theology as No. 4 (as u can see I'm dyin to do Russian!) and I'd prefer No. 4 wud luv to change it.

I really desperate to avoid doin buus as I really don't want to do it! So if I don't get pts forNos. 1 and 2 I hope I did "bad" enuf for No. 4!!!! Really wish I cud change it!!

ha you're the only other person ive seen put russian down too!!
    I also have french and russian (would love 2 get this!!) and business and russian (meh)!

I suppose as long i get a language ill be happy but looking into philosophy deeper im like oh god would not like this at all!!

my no.1 is english and russian (but 535- come on!)
    no.2 is European Studies (500's too!)

ha you're the only other person ive seen put russian down too!!
    I also have french and russian (would love 2 get this!!) and business and russian (meh)!

I suppose as long i get a language ill be happy but looking into philosophy deeper im like oh god would not like this at all!!

my no.1 is english and russian (but 535- come on!)
    no.2 is European Studies (500's too!)

Ye I'm the same I've seen knowone else put down Russian ( which I suppose is a good thing!). Ye I'm the same I jus wanna do Russian really. Wud luv to do Philosophy too but the Russian is the main thing.

The great thing about TSM is that u can drop the oder subject after 3 yrs and jus concentrate on Russian for the fourth yr. Also wen/if u go to Russia u do work experience (afaik) instead of university work (if u know wat I mean) if u do it wit Business.

Doin it TSM jus seems better that is why I'm desperate to avoid Bus.!!

You never know u mite get ur first choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You're going to need better english than that for your degree! :cool:

Not if I'm doin Russian I won't:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Having a good grasp of your native language really helps acquiring different languages easily. At the same time learning a different language can improve your knowledge of your own native language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭username4321

nitpickers ffs

djcervi wrote: »
    Having a good grasp of your native language really helps acquiring different languages easily. At the same time learning a different language can improve your knowledge of your own native language.

How do u know English is my Native language??? How do u know it's not French or Italian or Ukranian??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I feels a fight breaking out.

-Ding Ding- ROUND 1

But OP the results ain't out yet so there's still a good chance you will get your original course you desired along.

Don't worry about things that may not even happen yet. If you get your course fair play to you but if you don't then assess your options. Give your course a week or two. You never know. Some colleges, I know Dundalk for one allowed students to change over to another course providing of course you have the right points and there is availability.

If after all this you can't change courses then try for the CAO again in February. It's a long wait I know but it's so worth it in the end when you find a course you really enjoy doing.

That_Guy wrote: »
    I feels a fight breaking out.

-Ding Ding- ROUND 1

But OP the results ain't out yet so there's still a good chance you will get your original course you desired along.

Don't worry about things that may not even happen yet. If you get your course fair play to you but if you don't then assess your options. Give your course a week or two. You never know. Some colleges, I know Dundalk for one allowed students to change over to another course providing of course you have the right points and there is availability.

If after all this you can't change courses then try for the CAO again in February. It's a long wait I know but it's so worth it in the end when you find a course you really enjoy doing.

Ye dats pretty good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ye dats pretty good advice

It was in my fortune cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

yeah, my second is TCD Science, and third UCD Science. Id prefer UCD science now (I think) but I reckon Ill get the points for Trinners.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

How do u know English is my Native language??? How do u know it's not French or Italian or Ukranian??

of course I don't that's why I said 'native language', ;)

djcervi wrote: »
    of course I don't that's why I said 'native language', ;)

Rishy so:pac::pac:

Man I wish I realised that I dont wanna do bus BEFORE the 1st july!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

I am happy about my first 8 choices. But hopefully I'll get my first one, or second one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

If your not sure you still have time to apply for a PLC, I know it's not ideal for a lot of people, but it beats 4 years in a course you hate. One year doing something related to a course you like will provide you with a further qualification and if the points don't go your way will at least you have the FETAC awward as a way of getting into a course you really do want.
    There is no harm in applying, if you get a course you want you then you can just decline the place and if not it will be there as a safety net.
    But then again, you may be faced with fees if you leave it the year or if you decide to repeat.

Advertisement