Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Galway public transport information site

Options
  • 28-07-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭

In this thread, Victor said:
    We generally have no problem with people who give. We have problems with people who only take.

So I'm going to be brave enough to do this post about www.GalwayTransport.info

This is a new site that aims to have information about all scheduled public transport operating to, from and through Galway.

It doesn't do fancy stuff like journey planning, and aims to point people to other places rather than re-produce content.

It grew out of my frustration that there was no useful map of Galway City buses, and the fact that I needed to learn to use Blogger and Google maps for another project but wanted something to practice on first. (Yeah, this set of maps has now grown bigger than my other project will be!!!)

There are still some missing bits and map errors, but I decided that I needed to get some publicity going to see if anyone's interested before I invest any more time.

Yes, I have put Google ads on it. I have no idea if this will make enough to cover the cost of the domain and initial promotional printing - so no idea if I'll be "taking", but at this stage I'm seeing this as mainly about "giving": it's taken about 30 hours of my time so far, and there's more work to be done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Have you thought about putting this in the sticky for useful links?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Fair play, have done some ad clicking to keep it all in business! Hope it develops into something great..

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Nice maps, good to see someone doing what Bus Eireann should have done a while ago.

May I just suggest different colours for the different lines if possible?
    Plus, maybe have a link to the time-table when you click on the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

JustMary,

Excellent work - Galway really needs something like this!

If you don't mind me making a suggestion (will send them to the email address provided on the site also) - in the National buses section, GoBus Non-Stop service to Dublin City and Airport.
    Also, under the CityLink bit have Shannon Airport as a destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Just had a look on the Galway City board and didn't notice a post about this there. You should definitely post it there too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Good effort. The 33/34 routes for the Hateful Red Bus are off though. They pinball back and forth between the Western Distributor road and Clybaun road enough to make you dizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

it would be nice if this could be expanded for all towns/cities in the country
    but congrats on a job well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Good stuff, thanks for that :D

Some of the City Direct buses right on the western edge are wrong on routes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Robbo wrote: »
    Good effort. The 33/34 routes for the Hateful Red Bus are off though. They pinball back and forth between the Western Distributor road and Clybaun road enough to make you dizzy.

Thanks: I had a feeling that was the case. I haven't even tried to do detailed maps for them yet, think I'm going to have to catch the bus with a printout in my hand. This is the sort of thing I could spend "forever" getting right, but I figured I had to launch it sometime, there will always be more to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

dmeehan wrote: »
    it would be nice if this could be expanded for all towns/cities in the country
    but congrats on a job well done

I vaguely considered reserving www.TOWNTransport.info domains for other likely cities, but decided against it: doing this well enough to be useful requires local knowledge, and I don't even know if the dearth of information is as bad in other towns as it is in Galway.

I've paid for printing some initial promotional stuff (it seems I've got to get the clicks happening initially to get Google returning it in the search results). But apart from printing, this has cost me only $US10 and some time. There are lots of smart unemployed people out there who have the time, some should just go for it.

(I'm working on a business philosophy of "share the wealth" ... now pondering how I can use my new-found knowledge of implementing super-simple-but-super-cheap websites via Google to share more if it with me!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement