Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat TDI Injector knackered

Options
  • 28-07-2009 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My motoring year from hell is continuing:(

My 125k '02 T(red)DI has had a slight stutter at motorway speeds since I got it a little over a month ago. On the 150 mile return trip from U2 last night, it developed into a full on 1-cylinder-down scenario.

A mechanic (not my usual guy) plugged it in and diagnosed it to be a faulty injector. He said it would probably need replacing. I work with a guy who had to have all four replaced in his Passat but his mechanic told him it was as a result of it being chipped. He spent well over the €1,000 mark putting it right.

Just hoping someone can shed some light on my problem or push me in the right direction...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The is a place in Dublin that can test and recondition injectors. Excel Diesel in AD Dublin 01-4260552. If you don't / can't get to Dublin their is 2 branches in Cork that can take the injectors in and sent them up, AD Cork 021-4315808 Ad Midleton 021-4613603.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

edited

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭maidhc

cantdecide wrote: »
    Just hoping someone can shed some light on my problem or push me in the right direction...

Does that have a PD engine?

Not much you can do only get a replacment injector. I would be inclined to go for a reconditioned one. If it is PD engine, then they will be expensive as they have a combined pump/injector unit.

Gone are the days of the reliable diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Did the mechanic do any more than just plug in to check it?

I ask because it is not possible to tell 100% by just plugging in and because these give loom problems. The vast majority of PD units that I have seen replaced were not faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sorry guys, didn't think I would get a reply to this...

For the record, I wasn't happy with the diagnosis I got so I thought about it further and tracked down a VAG mechanic to look after this as a nixer. He was the first person I spoke to who had some knowledge of the prob. He told me he'd changed many of these injector looms and that it wasn't an expensive part but because the the engine is mounted longtitudinally (?) in a Passat, it makes removing the old loom difficult to remove in one piece, therefore time consuming.

€200 all in and she's running like a sewing machine...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ah good. Hopefully alls well thats end well and she well give lots of trouble free miles. Can be a sinking feeling to have problems early in a cars ownership.

Advertisement