Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ENDEAVOUR sts127 TAKE OFF TIME???

Options
  • 28-07-2009 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello!

Please help!

I was lucky enough to witness the flight of Endeavour 127 overhead my house on Wednesday 15th, after being informed of this by a friend.
    Who subsequently missed this himself (thick head shall remain unnamed)...

But anyway, Ive been trying for the last few hours to get the time of TAKE OFF from the ISC - I know that 127 is due to land in Kennedy at 10.48 am (US) on Friday 31st and that we are 4 hours behind here in Ireland,
    so fly-over will be at 6.48 am, detracting the 20 or so minutes it took to reach Ireland from America - so actual fly over should be around about 6.28 am - providing the crew will actually fly the same route BACK.

Please anyone correct me if Im wrong on this.

Also - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE -
    Does anyone know their scheduled time of departure FROM THE ISC (international space center) back to Earth??? :confused:

Many thanks,

Laura
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hello!

Please help!

I was lucky enough to witness the flight of Endeavour 127 overhead my house on Wednesday 15th, after being informed of this by a friend.

But anyway, Ive been trying for the last few hours to get the time of TAKE OFF from the ISC - I know that 127 is due to land in Kennedy at 10.48 am (US) on Friday 31st and that we are 4 hours behind here in Ireland,
    so fly-over will be at 6.48 am, detracting the 20 or so minutes it took to reach Ireland from America - so actual fly over should be around about 6.28 am - providing the crew will actually fly the same route BACK.

Does anyone know their scheduled time of departure FROM THE ISC (international space center) back to Earth??? :confused:

Many thanks,

Laura

We are 5 hour ahead of the East Coast of America. So if it is due to Land at 10.48am in Florida this means 3.48pm landing here.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It undocked from the ISS about an hour ago and it is on its way back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Hello!

Please help!

Many thanks,

Laura

Hi Laura as was said on previous posts the time difference is 5 hours We are 5 ahead of Florida. The landing on Friday is at 10:48 {US} which is 15:48 here in Ireland. The shuttle always flies West to East so it will not pass over Ireland 18 min before landing. It is launched to the east and continues to fly east until it lands. The ISS is also travelling to the east at all times.
    The shuttle undocked from the station yesterday {Tue} at 18:26 irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think we'll be able to see Endeavour. The space shuttle will begin re-entry over the Pacific ocean and arrive over the West US coast. Unfortunately, it'll be too bright in the day and the shuttle may be in the wrong orbit for us to see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

jumpguy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think we'll be able to see Endeavour. The space shuttle will begin re-entry over the Pacific ocean and arrive over the West US coast. Unfortunately, it'll be too bright in the day and the shuttle may be in the wrong orbit for us to see it.

Thats correct. Endeavour will fire its "breaking motors" {Orbital Maneurering Sysyem} engines about one hour before landing somewhere over the Indian/Pacific Oceans. It will not be visible from Ireland at any stage before landing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement