Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help with new car..

Options
  • 28-07-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

hey everyone, hope you all can help me some way..

im looking to get a new car when i get back from chad in sept, im looking to spend 10000 euro ill stretch to 11000 if its worth it, have a few cars in mind like the lexus is200, bmw 3 series, new astra, some kind of audi... lots of ideas but dont know what to get.

if anyone has ideas on what i could get in this price range it would help a lot.

im driving a 03 opel astra at the moment and living in cork if that is of any help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

how do you find the Astra?
    How would you describe your driving style?
    What's your annual mileage?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

colm_mcm wrote: »
    how do you find the Astra?
    How would you describe your driving style?
    What's your annual mileage?

i like the astra its a 1.4 so i would want somethin a little more powerful for my next one, driving style not sure but its just normal i guess, no doughnuts or anything like that..

i have a full licence with 4 years no claims bonus, no kids.. also not too bothered about what year it is once its in good condition for the year.

(as you can tell i dont know much about cars from the above which is why im in need of help or else i may buy a piece of cr@p)

A lot of people will suggest something very specific that they like themselves, like "buy a black VW Golf TDI 130"

I'm sure if you rationally figure out what sort of use the car will get, and how much you can afford/want to spend on maintainance, you'll reach a decision easier.

Cars that are "more powerful than a 1.4 Astra" covers a lot ;)

Which Audis do you like the look of?

A lot of people will suggest something very specific that they like themselves, like "buy a black VW Golf TDI 130"

I'm sure if you rationally figure out what sort of use the car will get, and how much you can afford/want to spend on maintainance, you'll reach a decision easier.

Cars that are "more powerful than a 1.4 Astra" covers a lot ;)

Which Audis do you like the look of?

i like the audi a4 and a3 tdi sport somethin that stands out from the normal ones. cost of maintainance doesnt really bother me any price is fine, are the lexus is200 any good?? and what about the 3 series?

so yeah a sport version of somethin... are we getting any closer lol

appreciate the help aswell colm..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

I've never driven an IS200 but was tempted by one before. Haven't heard anything bad about quality. Nice looking car.

I drive a 3-series and find it an excellent handler with plenty power, enough for me anyway. Suspension is a little hard, you'll feel every bump. Fuel consumption is good, 2-litre petrol.

Audi is a damn good car, sister has an 06 diesel and for all-roundness I'd nearly recommend it, even though it wouldn't be my first choice.

Stay away from Opels, build quality and reliability of the older models is pretty poor, hopefully this has improved but I wouldn't take the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'd go for the Beemer tbh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 kolo2007

i have a navy coloured audi A4 1.8T Sport, uk spec, 2002, 80k, looking to sell for around the 9,500 mark. If your interested let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So true! Best advice, OP, is to look around and drive a large cross-section of cars you think you may be interested in.

An A3 of any sort isn't going to stand out from the crowd.
    IS200 and 3 series both very common at this stage.

Just to gauge your reaction more than anything else - how would you rate these cars (all more or less within budget) these are cars you probably haven't considered.

2002 Nissan 350Z (13999)
    no-image-large.gif

2004 Mazda RX-8 (9950)
    no-image-large.gif

1998 Porsche Boxster (9995)
    no-image-large.gif

Point being, you may be able to aim higher than an A3. and you're only young once!

An A3 of any sort isn't going to stand out from the crowd.
    IS200 and 3 series both very common at this stage.

Just to gauge your reaction more than anything else - how would you rate these cars (all more or less within budget) these are cars you probably haven't considered.

2002 Nissan 350Z (13999)
    no-image-large.gif

2004 Mazda RX-8 (9950)
    no-image-large.gif

1998 Porsche Boxster (9995)
    no-image-large.gif

Point being, you may be able to aim higher than an A3. and you're only young once!

well the first one the nissan i would do anythin to drive that but its a 3.5 ltr which would be killer on petrol wouldnt it??

the second one is nice too but i prefer the first and dont really like the porsche boxter..

i have seen lots of the cars i said driving around cork so maybe thats why they are in my head, somethin different would be good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Make sure that someone will insure you on one of these first, could cost you as much as the car, or worse, the annual fuel bill!

Make sure that someone will insure you on one of these first, could cost you as much as the car, or worse, the annual fuel bill!

yeah just wondered how much insurance on that nissan would be lol

how old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

What about a Honda S2000

vn3_honda-s2000-cabrio_2.jpg

how old are you?

im 23

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If you're interested in an Audi A3...want something sporty...and are willing to pay up to ~11k....

....Why not go for an Audi S3?

Advertisement