Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collecting for charity

Options
  • 28-07-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Do the people who collect for charity outside marketcross get paid for doing so?
    If so does anyone know how much they get?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Depends on the charity in question. Concern are notorious for employing pushy chuggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

If they are young, pushy, holding a clip board and asking if "you can spare a minute for *insert charity*" they are most likely hired by some pr firm on behalf of the charity, you see them advertising on sites like jobs.ie and monster from time to time. If they are older, sitting down, giving you stickers etc and general not being a royal pain in butt they are volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Stephen wrote: »
    Concern are notorious for employing pushy chuggers.

Trocaire are bad as well...I had two of their chuggers ring my door bell a couple of weeks ago. Young lad and girl, looked in their early twenties, they were really rude, the guy making jokes about me cooking for them which must have been some sort of in joke as the girl started giggling like mad, they never said who they were or why they were ringing my doorbell, only reason I knew they were from Trocaire was the backs of the clip boards they were carrying. I told them to go away and then rang Trocaire and complained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I saw one of these 'volunteers' using the contents of his tin to place a bet in ladbrokes on the parade one day. He was some old fella collecting for god knows what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Whats with the dudes at the traffic lights these days eh? It used to be just santey (who is also a fireman in Kilkenny I believe) at Christmas time that did it outside the Tholstel but now they are there every bloody secend day.

I generally give them the contents of the ashtray, which at this stage consists mainly of miscelleanous nuts, screws, bolts, coppers and parking tickets that you get going into Dunne's but don't use because you leave after 6 and the barrier is up.

Or all the people collecting for non-charities?

-'What are you collecting for'?
    -'The Kilkenny [insert sports club]'
    -'Oh. Fk off then'.

Do I go out collecting money to subsidise MY hobbies? Eh? Do I fk!

There are indeed laws against collecting for faux charities, but hey, they're not enforced and if you can get sufficient funds down at Eurospar by fleecing old ladies to buy Little Timmy a new hurling bat or whatever it is you young people use to strike the spherical squidger over the wicket sticks these days, well then more power to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

I saw the a blondie collecting for cancer outside marketcross one day shouting and screaming at a fella who had set up on 'her pitch' saying she had worked there for years.

A week later there was a guy arguing with her saying it was a disgrace how she was misleading the public.

She must be getting well paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

Most get paid yeah! They usually are hired by the one company who leases them, so to speak, to several charities. One company I know of is Face2Face. They pay well enough I think. I remember looking at the job two years back, you got paid 300 a week, free accommodation and free travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Most get paid yeah! They usually are hired by the one company who leases them, so to speak, to several charities. One company I know of is Face2Face. They pay well enough I think. I remember looking at the job two years back, you got paid 300 a week, free accommodation and free travel.
    Damn only short of coke and hookers and they had me

You'll have to excuse that reply I've only come from After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭itsonlyme

FACT: Collectors get a 33% commission fee of the amount they collect.

FACT: The charity they collect for push them to collect as much cash as possible.

FACT: 80% of all money collected for the big charities goes to finance their administration, marketing and head office running costs.

Lots of foreign gypsy type beggars around lately. There was on on ormonde street, penneyfeather lane, high street and the market slip today.Thats a lot of people.

Do these come with a baby as standard or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Whats with the dudes at the traffic lights these days eh?

And ones at pedestrian crossings and keep pushing the button to stop traffic as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭littletiger

What's with all the foreign nationals collecting for their own charity. They are all over the town.

ANOTHER one for young irish film maker in Market Cross yesterday.

OK tell you what, I'll donate my hard earnings to bankroll your passtime if you buy me some books and a new set of speakers and maybe some more RAM for my PC.

Fkn cheek of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I know a school who collected recently on a saturday in town, they got about 2 grand, on the exact weekend last year with the same number of collectors, they got over 11 grand.

Advertisement