Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A3 problems

Options
  • 28-07-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi,

Driving home last night on m/way, doing about 120 kmh and the battery/alternator light comes up and i quickly figure out my power steering has failed..all other electrics work though,lights,rear demister,indeicators,windows..
    why would this have happened? and how much will it cost me to get fixed??

any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Have you driven the car since? Is it still starting? Sounds like the alternator belt snapped or came extremely loose. Have a look under the bonnet and you'll know straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭stuckinarut

i started it today, starts fine, no noises but battery light stays on and power steering doesnt work..didnt look like the belt was loose or snapped but then again i wouldnt even be sure where to look..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What year and engine type is your A3?

00 1.6..just hit 119k on it too..does need timing belt..

for anyone else who has similar problem,my fan belt had come off due to the wear and tear.
    €18 for new one and sound local mechanic of fit free of charge..

• Advertisement
Advertisement